Mobility scooters

Options
Mike1
Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
edited 22. Nov 2019, 06:04 in Living with arthritis
Now that I have had my driving licence withdrawn on medical grounds I will be making even more use of my electric wheelchair and Colt Executive mobility scooter which brings up a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone know if there is breakdown cover available from anyone, I have googled to try to find out but cannot find anything specifically for mobility scooters. I am worried that I may be stuck on the road somewhere not being able to move, I know that I could give the place I bought it from a tinkle but obviously it would be easier if I had separate cover.

2. How do scooters cope with wet conditions? I have been caught in a couple of showers when out and about without a problem but now I am without a car there may be instances where I have to go to the Drs or collect a prescription when it is raining. I know that there are covers available but they are a bit cumbersome and I have not been able to find one specifically for my model.

Any fellow mobility scooter users with thoughts?

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    These are exactly the questions I'd be asking myself if I had a scooter.
    I found this for breakdown cover https://www.eta.co.uk/breakdown/mobility-scooter/
    I think there are others but didn't have time to investigate.

As for rain - there is a company which says they have a quick solution for all types of scooter. https://www.johnpreston.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=scooter+rain+cover I'm not sure how easy it would be. My mpression is - dead easy as long you're not disabled :roll: I'd also wonder how one could see to drive in the rain. Presumably such thing don't have windscreen wipers.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks SW, I have since found out that my insurance company also does breakdown insurance and puncture cover. As for the rain issue the company that I bought the scooter from says that so long as I don't go out on it when the rain is hammering down and bouncing off the road all should be good. I keep an old military poncho in the pocket of the scooter in case I am caught in a shower when out and about and apparently that will be ideal, so no need to go to the added expense of a cover and, besides, as you have said I have never seen a scooter cover that I could actually cope with!