Not coping with the pain

Options
Motherofdragons
Motherofdragons Member Posts: 10
edited 7. Dec 2019, 07:21 in Living with arthritis
I posted a few weeks ago after having a hip replacement. That has been completely successful and I am very pleased with my new hip! However my other hip has suddenly become extremely painful. Today I have taken codeine, tramadol, paracetamol l, ibuprofen and amitriptyline and I’m still in an awful lot of pain. The pain goes from my hip, down my leg, my knee and also my shin. I’m using a tens machine and a heat pad. What more can I do?? It’s almost unbearable today

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's not uncommon for a second joint to object to the rectifying of a first one. I fully expect that to happen in a few week's time when Mr SW gets a new hip as, on the x-rays, the one which is most painful and is being replaced, is not quite as bad as the other one. (I haven't told him yet :wink: )

I think you need to see you GP about pain relief. All those meds are probably OK as a one-off but surely not as a regular thing? Especially if they're not helping. I suggest you make an appointment with whoever you can see (GP? Nurse?) asap. In the meantime your local pharmacist might be able to help. Are you doing the exercises given for the operated hip on the one now hurting? They might help too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    The more you take the less it achieves and the greater the chance of affecting / damaging your liver and kidneys. I wonder if you are more aware of the pain beause the opposite joint is so much better? I've always thought that the fewer affected joints the more the pain stands out; the autumnal weather could also be a factor with increased pain, my OA pain worsens in the cold and damp.

Be careful you do not inadvertantly overdose in trying to achieve the unachievable. The greater the strength of pain relief the more you are removed from the pain rather than vice versa. Arthritis hurts, end of. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Motherofdragons
    Motherofdragons Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you both for your replies. I spoke to the doctor today and he said I should keep taking what I’m taking but just take the tramadol when it’s really bad. I think maybe I do need to accept the pain more, yes arthritis hurts. I could really do with some sleep though :roll:
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I was awake between three and five this morning, not for the first time, not for the last. Very pure, very hot, needle-sharp pain running through both knees and both ankles, all thanks to a very active week. Serves me right. :lol: Do I regret the week? Not in the slightest, in fact I am proud I managed to do it and include a session with my personal trainer to boot. DD

PS Is one of your dragons the little charmer on the John Lewis ad?
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Try to leave some pain relief for just before bedtime and, if possible, more for during the night. never take more than the prescribed amount though.

If you're now able to sleep as you wish after the first op, try sleeping only on the bad hip or on your back. If your bad hip is on top, and therefore unsupported, it may get into awkward positions while you're asleep.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright