Beware pillows that are like bricks

annmary
annmary Member Posts: 18
edited 4. Jun 2009, 03:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
Ouch!!
I bet from now on you will take your own pillow.
I wish I could take my matress topper with me everywhere I stay.

Take care
dilly :D

Comments

• noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Yes I know the feeling my neck took ages tonigth getting in place to get out of bed and I have good pillows at home but when staying out I never know how many to use i ahve two at home
  • debbiedoo
    debbiedoo Member Posts: 1
    noeltone wrote:
    Yes I know the feeling my neck took ages tonigth getting in place to get out of bed and I have good pillows at home but when staying out I never know how many to use i ahve two at home

i find that!!! i am better with the memory shaped neck pillow!! only issue at present is mine is old now and ratgher flat lol i bought a new one and just cannot get comfy with it i wake with head aches and neck sore each morning so have resorted back to mu old fathful flat one again lol
  • shazza
    shazza Member Posts: 13
    Debbie doo i have one of those memory foam shaped pillows but hate it,then someone suggested i may be using it the wrong way round :oops:
    which end goes closest to you,the thick end or thin?
    its so long since i used it i cant remember which way round ive tried.
    spent a small fortune trying to find good pillows

the best pillows i find to be are the thin flat ones made of polyester, you can stuff them round your neck or under your back or shoulders, i,ve also spent a small fortune on different types of pillows but these seem to do the job for me and do not break the piggy bank. shazza
  • legwynis
    legwynis Member Posts: 4
    I have just invested in a memory foam mattress and pillow. It was the best thing I have done. I was having a major flare when it was delivered and even then I managed about 5 hours sleep a night. I have experimented with which way round the pillow goes and, having looked at various adverts on the net, I have come to the conclusion that the shallower side goes closest to your shoulders. I find that, depending on how stiff my neck is, I can find benefit in swapping it around every couple of days or so. Hope this helps.
  • bimbo24
    bimbo24 Member Posts: 1
    hee hee, this topic made me chuckle! I have started getting neck problems in the last 6 months or so, couldnt understand it- just thought it was arthur attacking a new place. Ive struggled with sleep for years, always had a restless night- no trouble getting to sleep just wake up loads, in more recent years it feels like I wake up everytime I turn over :(. Anyway stayed at my sisters, in her spare bed, slept pretty much straight through, and had no neck pain in the morning- and my other joints seemed better- I had a whole new lease of life! So I assumed it was my pillows, went out and got a memory foam one- hated it (made my head sweat, and still had neck pain the next day). So we have come to the conclusion it is the matress, I have a really firm one (it was bought for me as a moving in gift, so Ive never known any difference until I stayed at my sisters). We went out yesterday and purchased a much softer one (for an extortionate price), its getting delivered in 2 weeks- Im literally counting down the nights! :lol:
  • flowerpower
    flowerpower Member Posts: 3
    I so understand about the topper for your bed. I have just booked a holiday away with my daughter and I am already thinking I hope the beds are comfortable, as we are going to USA and I think I might have left myself vulnerable. To late now deposit paid, anyone got any ideas how I can find out if I could buy a topper in the states and leave it behaind if it wasn't too expensive, maybe we have links with usa and I can hire one.

Love Flowerpower.
    annmary wrote:
    Ouch!!
    I bet from now on you will take your own pillow.
    I wish I could take my matress topper with me everywhere I stay.

Take care
    dilly :D
    :)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    :D Thread bumped up for justin. :D

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    i take my pillow away with me...that one is for the neck and the pillow provided i use to put under my knees!
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    I think taking your own pillow into hospital is a good idea

It would be a good idea to check in advance whether the hospital will let you take your own pillow in, partly due to the risk of it ending up lost in their laundry system.

There is also the risk of cross-infection due to you bringing in or taking out an infection. Worth a query at least. k020.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    I took my mum's pillow in for her towards the end of her long stay in hospital and wished I had taken it in earlier, but I did ask permission first. I used to visit every day, so kept an eye on it, as it was very expensive. I also put her name inside the pillow. At least she started to sleep well and also was able to be "propped up" better when sitting in bed.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.