New member hello

Tracie
Tracie Member Posts: 57
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Good morning everyone I have been diagnosed with 7 bulging discs and oestoatheritis. As you know the joint pain is overwhelming. I have an amazing dr and i am under pain management on lots of diff drugs which are helping me sleep also having pyshio. I'm struggling with all the changes suddenly there is so much i cant do.im 52 year old lady who struggles to get dressed or hold a pen or squeeze some tooth paste . Have been feeling down lately just so hard oestoatheritis diagnosed last week.I'm off sick at mo but so hope to go back to work on a part time basis as full time will be too much for me . I have always worked full time again another change. I would love to hear of other peoples experiences and tips of how to cope. Thank you X

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Good morning Tracie

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum. Here you will find the members friendly, helpful, empathic and they will offer you advice and suggestions. Please though remember no one of use on the forum is medically trained. If it is a medical problem that you have you should make an appointment with one of your medical team.
    At the top of the page you will find buttons which when press d will open up numerous subjects that,Versus Arthritis covers.
    I am one of the'oderation team and we all have one or more of the Arthritis "hangers on" or look after family with the same,
    I look forward to reading future posts from you to see how you are,getting on.
    Best wishes and,gentle hugs
    ChrisK
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Tracie and welcome from me too. I have had RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis for years and that led to osteoarthritis (OA) though my back is pretty good.

I've learned by trial and error (much error :lol: ) how to do a lot of things. For a start the disability shops (real and online) sell all sorts of things to make everyday tasks easier. I have a sock aid, long-handled shoe horn, walk in shower with a seat and grab rails. I always buy thick pens as they're easier to hold and the disability stores also sell rubber things to put over an ordinary biro to make it easier to hold, They aslo sell things for squeezing toothpaste tubes but I just balance mine on the edge of the washbasin and lean on it with my forearm. Where there's a will there's usually a way. They can just take a while to find. Please ask if there's anything we can help with.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tracie
    Thank you so much for a warm welcome. Really helps to know your all here and to hear about your experiences.. Thank you for ideas for helpful aids .I will pop into my local mobility shop for some help. I have had bulging disc n pain in my back n neck for 10 yesrs after a car accident but only recently being diagnosed with oestoatheritis. I am currently on amitrripyline really helps to sleep I sleep well pregabolin n naxproxen also omeprazole which protects your tummy..
    Exercise and to keep moving helps but as you know sometimes it us such a battle. Brill idea for a thicker pen looking into getting a higher car as our is low to get in n out. Small changes make a big difference
    Thank you once again
    Tracie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Tracie welcome to the forum from me too :)

Just ask away any question we'll do our best to help if we can. It sounds as though it's all been quite sudden for you and will take affair bit of adjusting to.

((()))

Toni xx
  • Tracie
    Hi yes def got alot of excepting and adjusting to do. Just spoke to a lovely lady who works in boots her mum has oestoatheritis said thr same thing about adjusting n excepting. Massive . Thank you for being there really helps not to feel alone with this. My husband and daughter and friends are amazing but cant explain the pain its incredible isnt it. Question walking up n down stairs so painful but got to keep moving so will stairs aggravate my knees?
    Tracie x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it is nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I have psoriatic arthritis (PsA) and that led in turn to osteoarthritis so I am blessed with creaky feet in both camps with around forty affected joints. Because I take some fairly yucky meds for the PsA I prefer to keep other junk to the minimum and it often is not necessarily the best solution. I began aged 37 and am now 60. I am lucky in that my back is not affected; there's stil time. :lol:

I practice my arthritis ABC, adapt, believe and compromise. I have adapted both my surroundings and my behaviour to help me cope better with the disease, e.g. all my clothes are pull-on and I have changed household kit, I believe I can still do stuff if I prepare and recover properly and I compromise on what I do and when. I am lucky in that I was self-employed so could tailor stuff as I worsened and am now retired. I use walking aids (have done since I was 42) as all my lower joints are compromised so they help me go further and do more which is only a good thing. I have never shied away from asking for help with stuff - why waste my precious and limited energies on trying to open bleach bottles (tip: once they're opened NEVER close them) or washing floors? Why peel veg when a good scrub will do? I receive PIP so that contributes towards the cost of my wonderful cleaner.

Of the two I prefer the OA as I know when it will be worse and can react appropriately. I can also aggravate it myself by being stupid, I apreciate the pain feedback so I know when to stop an activity and rest which is what I am doing now after spending much time today dismantling our Christmas decorations. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dreamdaisy
    I do stairs like a toddler and have for years. When going up lead with the good leg and bring the weaker one up to join it on the step, when going down lead with the weaker and bring the stronger down to join it. When things were really grim I would come down backwards so I could support my body weight on the higher stairs. DD
  • Tracie
    I love that adept belive n compromise thank you you are very positive and so right. I still think I can do everything my husband keeps telling me off lol thank you. You have given me a lot to think about. What a wonderful forum and website. 👍😊
    Tracie
  • dreamdaisy
    We get it because we've got it, in many cases we've had it for years and are used to it. It can be easy to forget that what we take for granted is so very new to others. Over the years I have invested in OXO Good Grips kit for the kitchen, the fat, squashy and grippy handles help my fingers, wrists and elbows, I prefer smaller, lighter cutlery so use starter knives and forks and a teaspoon for dessert, I bought a steam generator iron which, although heavy as a unit, the iron itself is light, easy to maneouvre and better for all my upper body joints. One of the biggest changes was our move from a three storeyed house to a bungalow where I invested in cordless vacuums, we inherited an induction hob which is so easy to keep clean and had a lovely walk-in shower installed with a seat and grab rails.

Is your OA in your back, other joints or both? I have never been in a position health-wise to be able to do everything so am used to living a compromised life: it must be very different for you to accept and adjust to a different way of living. DD
  • Tracie
    Hi I have 7 bulging disc s plus oestoatheritis in my neck arms elbows wrists fingers n thumbs knees both n both feet . My Dr said it's a flare up fingers crossed will calm down soon. All tho my neck n shoulder n back pain I have had for years thank you for your reply..
    Tracie
  • Tracie
    Good morning as you all have been so kind.i have couple of questions. As a new member and being newly diagnosed. My dr has said my os is a flare up and will calm down is this correct in your experience? I have had neck n back pain for 10 years with bulging discs but never in my joints. I have had joint pain for about 8 weeks now.
    Also do any of you take a supplement of magnesium ? As well as other drugs pain management has advised me to start taking them which I am.
    Thank you in advance
    Tracie