Hi

Jacquim02
Jacquim02 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:04 in Living with arthritis
Hi i'm new here, I'm 47 years old and have just been diagnosed with osteo-arthritis in my hands(i've been suffering for over 2 years before diagnosis). Its horrible being in constant pain every day. I love to read, cross stitch and spend time with my partner and my gorgeous son who will be 24 on the 19th of this month. x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Jacquim02,

Welcome to the forum, I’m pleased to to meet you. Osteoarthritis in the hands can be very painful, hands are essential for so much, for pleasure as well as for everyday things.

I’m going to suppose you have been advised about pain medication and perhaps about exercises.

Here’s our leaflet about hand and wrist conditions as well as osteoarthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/hand-and-wrist-pain/

I also have hand and wrist problems, when I was first diagnosed it was quite, well, out of control, I was used to going to the doctor when I was ill and getting a diagnosis, medication, instructions and then going away follow instructions, take meds, get better. Now it was totally different but many years down the line I’m ok with it all.

I have a 'book chair' and a lap tray to hold my book, massage my hands - hot wax is good for me, when i have a good spell I still paint and do cross stitch not as much or as quickly as before but I still enjoy it.

Keep talking, find a comfy place on the forum to chat and find lots of ways to make life a bit easier, you'll like it here

Take care
    Yvonne x
  • Jacquim02
    Thank you I have been advised to take Naproxen and i've already got Co-Dydramol for my back. x

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am sorry you have had to find us. I empathise with hurty hands, I have psoriatic arthritis (onemof the auto-immune kinds) in my fingers and elbows plus osteo in my wrists and shoulders. I also have other affected joints, I started back in 1997 so am very familiar with the numerous downs and all-too-rare ups.

I exercise my hands every day, now use thicker pens, fat-handled knives (I like the Good Grips range of kitchen ware) and when they are really rough I rest them on a hot water bottle. I delegate all heavy lifting, bought cordless vacuums and a steam generator iron: the iron itself is light. Hobby-wise I manage by doing a little then resting a little, I patchwork, make cards, very occasionally paint or knit, and love puzzles, both jigsaw and written. I am happily married and deliberately childless because I knew I could pass on the auto-immune junk, like my parents did to me. Who needs that in their life? :lol: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Jacquim02
    Thank you. X