Blue Badge Assessment

emmar97
emmar97 Member Posts: 5
edited 8. Feb 2020, 05:51 in Work and financial support
Hello,
I've recently applied for a blue badge and they've invited me in for a mobility assessment. I'm really nervous about this because I am painful when I walk but I only sometimes limp when I'm having a bad day. I feel like my application may not be accepted as I can walk relatively okay and also don't have an extremely obvious difficulty walking.
I have applied before and have been rejected due to not being on enough pain killers?!?
Just wondering if anyone has any advice to ease my mind a little?
Emma

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I have no idea whether you will qualify or not. What benefits (if any) do you receive? I received my first BB in 2007 when I was awarded high rate mobility DLA and still receive one due to my transfer to PIP and the fact I have had to move from using crutches to using a rollator. I had to change my car to one that could accommodate my kit and also have an electric scooter (although that is hardly used). I was pleasantly surprised when mine was renewed last week, I would not have been surprised if the local authority had refused me or called me in but at least I have visual and documentary proof that mobility is an ongoing problem.

Pain and discomfort is invisible to the naked eye. There has been an understandable tightening of qualification to reduce to BB fraud but despite that the scheme is available to those without mobility issues: go figure. I wish you luck but, to be honest, do not hold out much hope for your chances. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Emma,

I'm not going to be much use to you as my BB is automatically renewed as I'm on higher rate mobility. Plus, it's so long ago that I first applied (BBs were orange back then :lol: ) I can't remember what it was like.

Painkillers? I doubt that'd be the only criteria they used as I take very few. However, I do have the advantage of a body that lóoks well and truly knackered :wink:

I think the mobility tests are supposed to be carried out by health professionals and we have to have difficulty walking 80 or 100 metres.

My policy for all such things is to be relaxed and truthful. And, if you can get a supporting note from your GP that would probably help. Good luck.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    The current eligibility criteria are contained here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/blue-badge-can-i-get-one/can-i-get-a-blue-badge

My baby Sister has OA in her knees and has been told that she needs a replacement of her right knee but they will not operate until she is 65, it's her birthday today so she has another 7 years to wait! Until then she has a made to measure leg brace and uses a mobility scooter when necessary. She applied for a blue badge last year due to her difficulty walking (her knee is now affecting her hips, surprise, surprise) but was turned down as she can get to her village shop, Cornwall Council actually measured the distance from her flat to the shop on Google Earth! The shop about 100 yards from her place and she has difficulty getting there without breaks but that aspect was ignored! Good luck!
  • Hi

I too have applied for a BB and am waiting. Looking at the above post is that why the form asks for a local landmark you can get to?

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Presumably.

• Delaine
    Delaine Member Posts: 10

Hi Emma

I applied last year for my husband because of his mobility issues. As he received the necessary PIP level for mobility, he qualified automatically and did not require an assessment (just had to send proof of his entitlement). I guess this is because he was assessed for PIP.

However, going for his PIP assessments would have him in such a state.

In the past, he managed to get from the car park to the assessment building, which was apparently around 100m, although he had to take several breaks where he had to sit and recover a bit. The only part that mattered was that he did do it, not the manner in which he did it.

As stickywicket said, letters from professionals who handle your care, can help.

Not much help, sorry, but good luck to you.

• Westonadam
    Westonadam Member Posts: 3
    I applied last month on a Tuesday, the following Tuesday it was approved, as yet I do not recieve any benifits, I scanned in and sent all my rheumatology reports, occupational health reports and sick notes, my badge arrived a week later, hope this helps