Post traumatic arthritis & CRPS @ 27 Year

LJK
LJK Member Posts: 4
edited 18. Feb 2020, 02:25 in Living with arthritis
Evening All,

I was 25 years old, as an active male working a full time job. When I was unprovokedly attacked which resulted in 5 major ankle surgeries to date. Initially being diagnosed with CRPS & post traumatic arthritis in my right ankle towards the end of 2019.

I am struggling to come with terms with the affects of what such an incodient

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi LJK,

Welcome to the forum and so sorry to hear about the attack and the devastating effects it has had for you.

It sounds as though it has been a really difficult experience and it's not surprising that you are finding it hard to cope with the change to your previously active healthy life. Have you received any support e.g. counselling to help you deal with all this?

It looks as though your post may have got cut off before the end..? If that's the case please do repost and feel free to ask any questions you have.

There is a search function on the forum (look on the green bar at the top) where you can search on topics for instance "post traumatic arthritis" to read past threads and posts on the subject. There may not be that many people on the forum with post traumatic arthritis but you will find others who share your symptoms and others who are finding coping with their condition difficult. This is a supportive place.

There is also a helpline, on 0800 5200 520, available Monday-Friday 9am-8pm.

With best wishes,

Ann
  • LJK
    I was 25 years old, as an active male working a full-time job. When I was unprovoked attack which resulted in 5 major ankle surgeries to date. Initially being diagnosed with CRPS & post traumatic arthritis in my right ankle towards the end of 2019.

I am struggling to come with terms with the effects of what such an incident has made to my life and being a previously very active and sporty individual. I was wondering if there was anyone else out there that has experienced a similar injury for which I could potential relate too.

Any comments or advice would be much appreciated, seeing as it has changed my life so dramatically and I am seriously struggling to come to terms with everything.

Look forwards to hearing from you.

Kind regards.

Lewis
  • LJK
    Thank you Ann,

I have reposted the full post as intended.

I am currently very fortunate to be receiving weekly counselling support, though what I am finding hard. Its all and well being to be told to accept it, but they haven't been put through my experiences. I would be unbelievably gratefully if I could get someone in a similar position to me, so I could relate. Even though I truly hope no one else has gone through what I have been through.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Gosh what an awful experience you've had. Unprovoked and undeserved no doubt :(

I have no personal experience to start with like yours, but I do have a friend whose bf was punched on a night out (you know that one punch head hits the kerb type?). He ended up alive, but with a terrifying head injury. He isn't so bad now, but it was touch and go...then he had a personality change and not for the better.

In addition my own daughter got leukaemia at 16 the treatment for which damaged her bones. After 2 and a half years of chemo she had to have hip surgery then a new shoulder joint. She probably feels like you a little and had counselling for many many months. PTSD they said. She now 'seems' to be coping well at 22 with what she is left with.

A lot of people told her she should be grateful she is here and alive (I wonder if people said this to you too) but they don't understand the shock, trauma and plain bad luck of it all.

Sending you ((()))

Toni x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited 19. Feb 2020, 15:02

Posting to add my best wishes for your continued recovery. Something so 'out of the blue' has to be very hard to take on board, let alone start moving forwards from.

I encountered arthritis in 2002 and I feel I have been through a grieving process, for the life I lost and the things I will never be able to do and the relationships that have suffered because I now have arthritis.

I still can have a cry and feel why me with the anger and despair - believe me though the bouts are becoming fewer and less intense though I think they will never leave me entirely.

When I'm miserable I tell myself that's fine, and I try to be nice to myself, then I say 'that's it for now' and find some distraction, a good book, tv, chatting to family so I begin again to see what I have and where I'm going

xx

• Hi LJK
    I understand how you feel I was diagnosed with CRPS four years ago, I'm 35 and have osteoarthritis in knee since 19 due too a man spilling a drink on marble floor and I fell straight on my knee, They then did loads of operations thinking it was cartilage then found out it was something more complex called trochlear dysplasia I had a pioneer op and it worked great for seven years and I was running working 7am /7pm in a physical job then one day was walking the two Labradors and then it went no warning nothing I got septic arthritis then they put a steroid injection in knee and I got it again then finally after such a frustrating few years diagnosed me with severe osteoarthritis in left knee, cartilage hanging by a string and CRPS and all that comes with it and now I have arthritis in femur bone due too all trauma I have seen the best of the best and said I need a new knee but due CRPS and sepsis they are not willing too do it unless cartilage wears completely away they said my age is the positive out of this don't know why they think that, I found it so hard too deal with it all the diagnoses the changes too my life no work(biggest battle still too this day) , no life (which I thought back then) had too move too a bungalow the amount of medication they want me too have, the stares(you think they haven't seen anyone with crutches of wheelchair before), the amount of people around you who just suddenly disapear, And I have thought about ending it a couple of years ago but I'm doing well now I still have bad flare ups I'm going through one right now it's lasted two weeks but I think of positives all the stuff I wanted too do like reading pottering around in garden when I'm having a good day sitting down at the beach it's so peaceful, swimming. Don't get me wrong every day I struggle not too be able too do things I miss work so much I miss being active but I have too deal with this new body I also meditate and essential oils and when I have bad pain flare up I put my earphones in listen too my favorite music I sing too and I start singing and it helps not thinking about the pain (not for everyone else who has too listen too me sing lol) I just want too say too you, it will get better I promise take care always here if you need a chat. X
  • Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @sadiestevens and welcome to the Versus Arthritis online Community.

That's very impressive how you have come through a really bad time. It's brilliant you now have a range of positive activities and things to do that will help distract, support and really help you when a bad flare is going on.

Just thinking about the pain and focussing on how bad the flare is can really make it all so much worse. If you ever need to talk to someone in complete confidence you can always ring our free Helplines on 0800 5200 520 (Monday–Friday, 9am–8pm).

Do join in across the forums and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Hi @brynmor
    Thankyou for the kind words, I actually phoned the helpline two weeks ago and the lady was amazing, Just needed someone too say it was going too be OK, No matter how hard it is you have too stay positive I believe that with my whole heart.