Shoulders - impingement, arthritis, trapped nerve? How to discuss with doc?

I've got osteoarthritis in various places - feet, knees, hands, spine. Now, since last year, I've been having problems with my shoulders. The left one is painful if I put my arm into certain positions. Yes, I know, don't do it then! May be impingement, arthritis - who knows? I've also wondered about the possibility of bursitis, as I've had bursitis in both hips for about 5 years now. My right shoulder isn't so painful, but I'm getting pins and needles down my arm, fairly frequently, which has got worse over the past few months.

I saw the GP last week and he took lots of blood tests, principally because I asked him about the 'nerve' pains I'm getting in my hands and feet, especially at night. I honestly don't think anything is going to show up, so, when I go back, I'm going to be left discussing my shoulders again. I may be wrong, of course!

Should I be asking for an x-ray of my shoulders if he doesn't suggest it, particularly of the right one with the pins and needles? Worried about the possibility of this being a problem with my neck - which is very crunchy - although I haven't got any pain there.

Any other ideas/advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi Megrose

sorry to hear your news and I have to say I have a similar experience in both my shoulders. I was referred to an orthopeadic surgeon and I am now on the waiting list for shoulder replacements. If nothing is thrown up by your bloods it seems reasonable to talk about the option of having an x-ray, let us know how you get on

Best Wishes

Sharon

• crinkly1
    crinkly1 Member Posts: 156

Hello from another member with similar distribution of OA to yours.

I had keyhole surgery on one shoulder some time ago then a shoulder replacement in the other last February. I would never wish to go back to the 'before' days so I fully support Sharon's advice to seek referral to your local hospital shoulder team.

It sounds as though you know your own body well enough and have struggled long enough to request that with confidence. If your GP feels it necessary to see an x-ray before contacting the orthopaedic department that's fine but it's the first thing a consultant will have done when you are seen so may not be needed until then.

I do hope you are able to get an appointment without too long a wait and can then discuss your situation fully with a consultant.

Meanwhile you have already advised yourself to avoid making the pain worse so stay as comfortable as possible and do let us know how you get on.

• Megrose489
    Megrose489 Member Posts: 776

Thank you all very much for your replies. I should be seeing the GP again next week for the blood test results, so will be discussing it all with him then. I'll be back to let you know how I get on.

• lizbet
    lizbet Member Posts: 5

Hi Im new on here but ive got impingement in shoulders and recently started with awful pain and pins and needles accross back of neck and shoulders and down both arms. Ive had scans and its foraminal stenosis for which Im having injections under x ray. Doesnt stop it but it really helps.

• kenbo
    kenbo Member Posts: 17
    I am awaiting keyhole surgery on my R shoulder. 44-49 weeks wait instead of 12 weeks. Pain on movement, sleeping and is in general constant. My only support is my nursing experience. Orthopaedics are slow and lumbering. Exercise and mindfulness with a hefty dose of stubborn motivation. Keeps me going.