Hello I am new to the Forum

CTB
CTB Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
I have suffered with Rheumatoid Arthritis for 22 years but since losing my husband last year it has been confirmed by my Doctor that it is now 'Sky High'
I am waiting for an appointment with a Rheumatologist.
Just wondered how you coped with this

CTB

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi CTB and welcome to the Versus Arthritis online community.

Sorry to hear you have had rheumatoid arthritis for such a long time and it is now going into overdrive. This must be very difficult for you. Its great that your doctor has referred you to a rheumatologist and then you can get some relief and support.

We have some great pages of information on our website. Here is a general one on rheumatoid arthritis:

If you provide some more details, we could perhaps link to more specific information for you.

Do dive in and ask questions and join in with the discussions. Your long experience will be very helpful 😃

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Bluebell7
    Bluebell7 Member Posts: 41

Hi CTB,

welcome to the forum, I'm sorry to hear your struggling.

What pain meds are you taking?

Hope you feel much better very soon

hugs

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi CTB

I am so very sorry to hear about your husband. Such sad news.  A lot of us find on here that upset (and stress) makes our arthritis worse so I wouldn't be surprised if I was you that things are bad for you at the moment 😕

It's good that you're in the system to see a Rheumatologist I hope you have a date and it's not too far off?

Most of us survive our flares using a mixture of techniques from increasing our pain meds (within prescribed limits of course), getting the GP to try a new painkiller if needs be.  Some of us use heat (wheatbags that you microwave?) or ice packs on sore joints.  We also get rest when we can and try to be extra kind to ourselves.

Finally we distract ourselves in whichever way works best for us - maybe reading/watching a film/music.

Take care

Toni xx

• juiet
    juiet Member Posts: 1

Hi,

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for a year and I keep getting flares it’s in my wrists and fingers and when they swell I get secondary carpal tunnel symptoms . I have been taking 15mg of methotrexate a week , rheumatologist has recommended I increase to 17.5mg but it makes me feel sick, I take it at night once a week. When pain gets unbearable I take 100mg Celebrex twice a day, I don’t take it all the time because it makes my IBS bad.

I am usually an active person and I am struggling with slowing down, every time I do too much I have a flare , that could be hoovering house or going to a party. So depressing and frustrating. 😥

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi juiet

Lovely to meet you but not to read that you are suffering so much ATM.  Some of us take a second DMARD alongside MTX which might be an idea and are you taking folic acid at all to help with side effects?

Just trying to think what might help..... would need to talk to rheumatology of course...

Take care

Toni xx