sillylally
sillylally Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
How can my Dr tell if it's OA or RA please

Comments

• amytan
    amytan Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Through a blood test although I believe this isn’t always reliable.
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

There are blood tests for RA, which as amytan says are not always reliable. If you have the RA factor it MIGHT show RA is positive, it might not. With OA I just had X-rays of my hips and it was discovered there.

outlines the differences between the MANY types of Arthritis. Hope this helps. XX😍

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options

Physically the main difference is that RA is mirrored on both sides of your body. You don't get RA just in one hand/hip/knee etc it always in both your hands, both you hips, both you knees etc. In my experience it's in all my joints from my jaw to my toes because I am a Rheumatoid.

Anyway I'm sure others will come along with more information.

Love, Legs x

Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

and that nasty fluey feeling Legs.....the 'real total' exhaustion the inability to stay awake.

The blood tests can come back negative for RA at Kath said I rea about 30% of those with RA can be negative.

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options

That's very true Toni, I forgot that as well as the exhaustion ...but maybe you get that with OA too? xx

Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'