Level of risk / covid 19

Hello everyone.
I am new to this forum. Looking for some information about level of risk but struggling to find anything.
I have been taking a low dose of methotrexate 10mg weekly for around 8 years. Never had abnormal bloods and not had a bad flare up for years (very lucky I know). I don’t take any other medication.
I am a nurse, my husband is also key worker. My employer has been great and allowed me to work from home for a few weeks until we have further information but long term I don’t know how supportive of this they can be. My husband can not work from home.
I have 2 school aged children who have been given school places.

I understand I am classed as higher risk due to the methotrexate but I feel confused and frustrated that we have all been placed in the same category. Are we at the low end of the high risk group (if that makes sense) or are we all genuinely in the same position regardless of circumstances.

I know the best thing is to speak to my rheumatologist which is hard at the minute. I haven’t heard anything at all from my GP.

Just looking for other people who may be in a similar situation.

Thanks x

Comments

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 169

hi and welcome to the forum,we are in very uncertain times but you will find support here,for any specific queries use our helpline 08005200520 an I'm sure they'll advise

Al

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi Grace

There is still some confusion about who is in the ‘at risk’ groups and what they should do. It is well worth visiting our Covid-19 information page which does have some more detail that will be helpful to you. It also has links to the latest information available to us that are well worth following up.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Sandp27
    Sandp27 Member Posts: 7

Best to read through the comments on the main Covid Post. I`m in a similar situation but on Leflunomide, I found this on the NRAS website. Interesting comment about conventional DMARDs. This chimes a little with the advice from my Rhem Nurse. She told me as my condition is well managed my immune system should be near normal.

- Is it the RA or the immune-suppressing medications that heighten my risk?

This is a difficult question to answer because there is such a spectrum of expression of RA. But broadly speaking, RA does increase vulnerability and particularly if it is active. Treatments such as methotrexate and other conventional synthetic DMARDs are generally not immunosuppressing when used at the right dose to control someone with RA. We know that steroids, biologics, biosimilars and JAK inhibitors may cause immunosuppression even though they help control the disease.

• Grace123
    Grace123 Member Posts: 7
    Hi thank you all for taking the time to reply. Take care x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

Everyone is at risk be they old, young, fit, unfit, healthy, unhealthy, rich, poor, film stars or binmen; that's precisely why this is a pandemic. Some are at greater risk than others (qualifying for the free flu jab is one such example) but no-one is exempt. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Grace123
    Grace123 Member Posts: 7
    yes I really do appreciate that. However, we all have decisions to make and I would like to make the most informed choices I can while still following the government advice.
    225 Member Posts: 9
    I feel in a similar position to you myself I take 15mg a week and have young children too it's hard to find the info we need as alot cleverer people than me are still trying to work out just how covid-19 actually attacks the body!I don't want to make things worse by stopping the meds!like you say just want to make informed decision.
  • silverfoxxxx
    silverfoxxxx Member Posts: 131
    I’ve just put a couple of pdf links in the stickied covid-19 post which my help with making decisions, they look like they were sent out to Rheumy’s departments.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I figure that I am at risk myself from people who are unaware they are infectious and in turn will pose a risk to others when I am unaware that I am infectious. That of course would apply over a far longer period as, due to immuno-suppression, I am slow to produce symptoms. Best to stay in, stay clear of people and thus keep well. There will be enough unlucky people for the NHS to be dealing with.

I suspect it won't be long before the choices of individuals are made not by them but for them. We are lagging behind Spain, France, Germany and Italy whose populations have been (and are) under far more strict rules of social behaviour than us and managed not to panic-buy.

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
    Well as much as I don't want to be in the high risk category that have received some form of notification to stay in for the next 12 weeks I now find myself in what feels like an impossible situation!I haven't been told to stay home so work are expecting me back next week.i inject methotrexate and am one that has to have flu jab so do feel very much at risk if not 'high risk'.my work is definitely non essential and not only full of metal fumes all day but 70 or more of us on a factory floor sharing same toilets,canteen touching same door handles etc!!I feel I will be so much more at risk of picking this up now as it seems people around here believe they are all untouchable and social distancing is something for the cities!!drives me mad and makes me sad how selfish this world's become.do I go to work???I can't just quit got 4 kids mirtgage!!!take all my holidays??call in sick???any advice welcome.
  • Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi 225

We have published new information regarding risks for rheumatology patients and COVID-19:

Best wishes

Brynmor

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi 225,

Do you have a union or HR department who could help in your specific situation? Perhaps they could find you some other work to do from home or from a better situation than a factory floor?

Yvonne

They have recently appointed someone at work to deal with hr and I am a union member however it seems as only injecting methotrexate then this does not make me a high risk and I have to return to work.i can't work from home I cut steel all day on a machine and they have no other work for me.i have self isolated for last 2 weeks so now I'm stuck I either call in sick try and book holiday time off or just don't turn in and lose my job.
  • YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

I passed on your problem and there is new information here

Part 4 is the relevant one. I'm afraid it still isn't clear and my only other thought is maybe citizens advice or your MP?

Yvonne