Daughter asked to work outside home

My daughter lives with us and her job is putting care packages together for the elderly. She has been asked to go into elderly homes once released from hospital. She says it’s a risk to me but they won’t take that. What do i do

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi Annszoff I can well understand the difficulty in working out what to do in such a difficult time.

We have just published some additional information on our website for rheumatology patients about COVID-19. It will help you assess your level of risk and decide on what action you and your daughter need to carry out in order to protect yourselves from the added risk. The link is:

If you need to talk to someone in person, do get in touch with our free Helplines on 0800 5200 520 (mon-Fri 9:00am-8:00pm)

Do let us know what you decide to do and how you are getting on.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• To assess your own level of risk you may wish to see the latest information here:

If you would like to talk about your situation, why not call us at the Helpline? If you feel you need individual medical advice, then you'd speak to your rheumatology team or GP.

But do consider calling us at the Helpline, as that may help you get your questions ready to speak to the medical professionals. Tel 0800 5200 520

Best wishes Guy - Helpline Team

• lucybadger
    lucybadger Member Posts: 6
    edited 25. Mar 2020, 15:24

Hope its ok to reply as I am not a helpline person?

@Annszoff Do let me know if you figure out what to do! I am in a similar situation in that I live with my partner who works in a supermarket which puts him currently on the front line with the public. I am on Methotrexate so judging by the tables above I am a lower risk but still need social distancing. I am off work because my shop has shut..

We have decided to socially distance from each other as much as is possible in the same house: separate bedrooms and bathrooms, cleaning countertops and doorknobs etc after he has used them. I do the cooking and cleaning so that I know he hasn't touched anything before me. Its not easy though, and not perfect. Any other practical advice gratefully received!

• Annszoff
    Annszoff Member Posts: 6
    Hi Lucy it’s really difficult. My husband and myself are self isolating. We have no idea really what to do. So far my daughter hasn’t had to go out to do any visits . Stay positive
  • Hi @Annszoff and @lucybadger

There are specific guidelines in place to protect employee health and wellbeing during the COVID-19 crisis. We are aware that some employers are advising staff not to travel in uniform and to take particular care with hand and clothes washing on returning home.  This would seem to be sensible advice for everyone and particularly important where others in the home have some additional vulnerability.

It is important that if those family members who

are venturing out and about, develop any of the symptoms, they should at that

point start seven days of self-isolation, including isolation from people in their

household, to reduce the risk of spreading it.

Best wishes

Mags, Helpline advisor