I don’t know what to do

Hey. I’ve just received my letter of doom. I’m currently still working as I’m in an essential business.
I don’t want to be locked in for 12 weeks. My mental health CANNOT handle that. I’m considering speaking to my consultant and asking to come off all my meds instead. Am I insane? I’m 35 and I live alone. I just can’t...

Comments

• Eir23
    Eir23 Member Posts: 20
    I received the letter too. I'm still taking my meds, most of the meds stay in your system for months after stopping so I dont think there would be any benefit in stopping, plus your Rheumatologist is unlikely to allow this. It could also lead to a flare which could increase your risk.
    I will get 2 weeks full pay, from work, after that although I am not sick and ready and willing to work , I will only get SSP for the other 10 weeks, which I am quite annoyed about. I dont qualify for UC, therefore I will most likely return to work before the 12 weeks.

I will also struggle with being locked in.for 12 weeks.

Take care.
  • Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @RavenHairedPixie and @Eir23

Having had the letter, you know there is very strong guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable from COVID-19 from the Government:

This has advice in a question & answer format, including:

• What should you do if you develop symptoms of coronavirus (COVID-19)?
    • How do you look after your mental wellbeing?
    • What steps can you take to stay connected with family and friends during this time?

We also have advice on Staying at home and arthritis

If you need to talk to someone, our free Helplines 0800 5200 520 are available Mon-Fri 9:00am - 6:00pm.

Lastly, it is not advised that you come off your medication without full consultation with your healthcare professional. As Eir23 says, the resulting flare may well make you more vulnerable and increase your risk of infection.

Stay safe.

Brynmor

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I am sorry that you have received such unwelcome news. This thing is bigger than arthritis and is wrecking far more long-term than merely short-term individual freedom. I am not enamoured of living a more-than-usually-restricted life for at least twelve weeks but if that is what has to be done then I will do it. I am fortunate, however, in being experienced in such matters and in these times of endless telly, digital radio and the internet it's much easier to deal with than it has been in the past.

This is the greatest crisis facing the world since WW2 and the development of the atomic bomb. It is not merely a virus, it is a plague. I have no intention of stopping the meds that deal with my disease bcause that is going to last far longer than corona. I also have no plans to catch corona but that is not entirely in my hands or a matter of choice.

My neghbourhood is awash with people offering help, advice and counselling and I understand that similar groups are being set up nation-wide. I am not taking part because I am confined to barracks but I have found a role for myself so can do my bit when needed. Thinking of others is far better for mental health than focusing on oneself. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Have seen this tonight: Staying positive in a lockdown – the seven rules

• Hi RavenHairedPixie & Eir23

I can see what good support your fellow forum folk are already offering. And I just want to make sure that you both know that if you feel like talking things over, you are always most welcome to ring us at the Helpline.

If you would like someone to listen to you then you know where we are.

If you feel you need better support for your mental health, then do speak to your GP.

And remember 08005200520 is the Helpline number, we are open 9-6 Mon-Fri.

Very best wishes

Guy - Helpline