Feeling overwhelmed

Hi
Had most intense counciling session today over the phone . She was intense quite firm but I quess this has been building up to this. Waiting for a app with a rheumatologist . Councillor said I dont need to wait I know what I have arthritis in my joints. Just have to except it so hard unknown constant pain feeling shattered overwhelmed exhausted.
Trying to slow down and be gentle and compassionate to myself but struggling 😥
Thank you for listening
Tracie

Comments

• louisealice
    louisealice Member Posts: 25

Hi Tracie,

so sorry to hear about your situation. Glad you have counselling to give you support. Though as you say can be emotionally draining in itself.

In my case, the diagnosis was a shock and took the ground from under my feet (3 years ago aged 49) .Later when I got on medication and stabilized, I realized that a part of my despair was the pain, the exhaustion and the lack of any refreshing sleep.

Don't beat yourself up, you are doing all the right things by saying slow down and be gentle.

I'd make one other suggestion: do something everyday no matter how small to give you pleasure - read a book, listen to a silly programme on the radio, set up Skype or Zoom and have a laugh with a friend. You need some spot of happiness or else you can feel that every day is just black.

Take care

Louise

• Tracie
    Tracie Member Posts: 57
    Thank you louise x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

The Chinese have a quaint saying, ‘every journey begins with the first step’ and it is so true for us, often what we need to do we don’t want to do, we do need to step forward though and take that first step.

good luck.

its a grin, honest!

• BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201

It’s true that we have to accept what we can’t change. Coming to a point of acceptance isn’t easy and I found it took time.

Part of it is a form of grieving for what you once had and took for granted - and it’s well recognised that grief has many stages, one of which is anger.

Be kind to yourself. The good news is that one does get to a point of acceptance of a new normal and learn to make the most of it.

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307

Hi Tracie it is hard to accept sometime there are things we can't change and trying to force the issue wastes what little energy you have and leads to frustration. BettyMac is right it is grieving that we go through. It is all to easy to get annoyed with yourself, or your body but don't cut yourself some slack.It can feel as if you have been hit by a train but things do get better ( well you accept

• stellabean
    stellabean Member Posts: 307

I am sorry that post doesn't make sense my cat Felix has been helping (not) .What I wanted to say was it will take time but it will happen. Take joy in the little things, life goes on .Stellabean