Cervical Spondylosis

Can Cervical Spondylosis cause tightness in your throat?

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi Lordy and welcome to the online Community. Great to have you here.

I did a search of our website and couldn't find any links between osteoarthritis of the neck (cervical spondylosis) and problems regarding tightness in the throat or throat infections:

It would be interesting to find out if any of our members have any such experience. It does sound as though you would need to consult your GP or local health service if it is a serious problem to gain a sound medical diagnosis.

Do join in across the Community and also let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Kerstin
    Kerstin Member Posts: 3
    Hi ijust joined and saw this . I have same issues . Very tight throat . My rheumatologist said it's due to different posture now and as it also effects my neck my head goes heavier during day. My chin rests on my chest by afternoon and this cause tightness in my throat. Also effect my breathing
    X
  • chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 668

Hi Kerstin,

Welcome and thank you for sharing your experience on this topic with other forum members.

Hopefully other members will be able to contribute to this dialogue where they too have experienced similar symptoms.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Rogo
    Rogo Member Posts: 5
    Hi just seen this post i too get tightening of throat with issues with my cervial spine
  • Lordy63
    Lordy63 Member Posts: 9

Thanks Kerstin and Rogo, it is nice to know I am not alone in this. I have a GP telephone consultation tomorrow where I am going to mention it.

• Constance
    Constance Member Posts: 37

Hi there

I have recently been waking up with tightness in my throat plus a very heavy head and sore neck, but once I lift my head it disappears. Any tips to help would be great. How did your appointment go with your GP Lord63?

Looking forward to hearing from anyone.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Neck issues are one of my problems too but rather than a tightness in the throat I sometimes have trouble breathing out for some reason, I mentioned this to the GP and he basically ignored it. I get a very sore neck, grinding when I move it, pain spreading to shoulders and arms etc. I have found that massage helps and I have a front-fastening soft cervical collar which my OT told me to wear whenever I go out or my neck is not supported when I am in my recliner - which is where I seem to spend most of my life - this helps too. They are cheaply available on the internet.

• Constance

Hi Mike1

Thanks for your feedback waiting to hear from the spinal clinic for an appointment once backlog is dealt with.

Hopefully I can get the right fitting collar to wear and obviously also looking for a miracle to happen. Enjoy your recliner.

• Saltmarsh
    Saltmarsh Member Posts: 42
    Hello Constance. I sympathise with your problems, which I experience also. I can alleviate the discomfort/pain with little, gentle exercises, which I think I found on the website & are worth trying: Carefully tilt your head towards each shoulder in turn, do not strain. Then gently lower your head towards the chest, relax your shoulders & rest the weight for a few moments. Then slowly lift the head, raising & gently rolling back the shoulders slightly, back into normal position. Raise the shoulders & allow to drop. Good luck. Please keep in touch.
  • Constance

Hello Saltmarsh

Hope that you are pain free today. Thank you for your comments and will try these exercises. My neck very stiff right now and feel that I have to turn my body on the right hand side instead of my neck to look at someone or something, Still rely on my wheatbag to help with the pain. Will definitely stay in touch. Always nice to chat to someone.