Pets' Corner

Mike1
Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

As many of us use a photo of our pet as our account photo I thought that it may be a nice idea of setting up a Pets' Corner to put larger photos up, photos of them doing something daft, accounts of things that they do, how they support us and so forth. Vixen is the third cat that I have had since leaving the RAF in 1988. My first was called Arnie but he disappeared when my ex-wife moved in with me, I found him elsewhere in the village and brought him home several times but on each occasion he legged it again, if only I had known then what I was later to discover I would have legged it with him! Fluffy was my next cat and she passed away 4 years ago which drastically affected me, more so than my parents passing. I went spiralling downwards until friends presented me with Vixen, initially I was told that she was a boy so I called her Vulcan, that was until I took her to the Vets for her first check up, on chatting to the Vet he announced that he was a she and it was the quickest gender realignment he had ever done! Living alone and virtually housebound (especially now), I would not be without her. I have the names of all 3 cats tattooed on my arm beneath a picture of a Sabre-toothed tiger.

Comments

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206

Hi Mike1

I think this is a lovely idea especially with everything going on. Im sure people on here are happy to share pictures of their pets with everyone, as they are members of their family, and to some people it is all they have.

I myself don't own any pets, well not if you count a 10yr old son.

Stay safe everyone!

A_J x

• Mike1

This is my Sister's dog, Daisy, she is a Biewer Yorkie. Vixen loves her coming over to visit because she chases Daisy around the garden and also hides so that she can ambush her. Vixen also climbs up onto an arch I have over the back gate or onto the lean-to roof and then stares down at the dog as if to say that she is superior to Daisy, which of course she is!

• numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782

Oh dear, if I add to this thread, I'm likely to bore you all to tears. I have 4 cats, all with a different story so , if you still want to let me loose on here I will try and upload some pics

😊

Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • numptynora
    I'll try but I'm having trouble with my computer.
    I'm using my phone at the moment :s
    Numps x
  • numptynora

This is Mr Bentley, he's been with me for nearly 2 years. His first slave went back to America to live so needed to find a home for him, he was bred as a stud boy so it took a while for him to realise he didn't have to perform 😙😉he's such an intelligent boy.

Numps x
  • numptynora

This is Miss Astrix, she's been with me for 5 years, her slave couldn't cope with her as well as a huge dog and another cat so, I willingly took her to live with me. You know the saying "proper little madam".................!

Numps x
  • numptynora

This is Miss Yeti, she came to me the same time as Astrix, very nervous and afraid of her own shadow. It's taken until now for her to come onto my lap and even then she won't stay. Very Bossy from a distance!

Numps x
  • numptynora

And this is Mr Felix, his owners moved away and left him behind, he'd been sleeping rough until one night he found my kitchen chair, he's been with me for around 7 years

Numps x
  • Mike1

Thanks Numps, excellent. Anyone else joining in with their pets?

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Oh I LOVE this thread Mike1!

I will be popping by regularly!

Ellen

• numptynora

Surely we aren't the only ones with pets?!!

Numps x
  • Mike1

I thought that most of us have pets and that many more of us would join in, ah well.

Vixen trying to speak with Fred and Ginger - my goldfish.

• Twirl58
    Twirl58 Member Posts: 19
    This is a lovely idea! I do love cats!
    We had our Smudge for 14 years, she was a tuxedo cat, and I was devastated when she died. I promised myself that I wouldn't have another unless they looked like her.
    3 years later we found a stray cat with 4 kittens living at the bottom of our garden. Mum was a black, long haired beauty. 2 of the kittens were tabbies, one was like Mum and the other was- like Smudge!
    I fed them but the 2 tabbies disappeared and then it became obvious that Mum was expecting again. Cats Protection removed them and said that they were feral and couldn't be rehomed unless it was a farm. Well, daughter started crying imagining them being trampled beneath Shire horses hoofs 🙄 So to cut a long story short, we had the kittens back.
    We thought the black kitten was a girl but was informed other wise, he was Alfie and the tuxedo was Millie. They lived in the garden as Cats Protection said they would never be indoor cats. Alfie disappeared after about 6 years whereupon Millie decided that she did like being inside after all. We had her for 14 years when we noticed that a scab on her nose wasn't healing, trip to the vet informed us that all her years of sunning herself in the garden had given her a tumour on her pink nose. We kept her going for 6 months on medication but had to have her put to sleep 2 years ago.
    We have a plaque with her name and dates on the bench in the garden where she spent so much time.
    We are now left with our Charlie. His Mum was a Westie and his Dad was a Jack Russell. He is 16, deaf and very wobbly on his feet now. Spends his days sleeping and eating. Every year we think that he won't be here for his birthday but he proves us wrong. I will see if I can post photos.
  • Mike1

Looking round on my laptop I found this photo of my Vixen when she was 6 weeks old!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 29. Apr 2020, 13:13

Ickle baby Vixen! Totally adorable :)

Right this is Daisy (Known on here as Sleek or Miss Slimkins due to teh fact that the vet told us to watch her weight...! Cheeky vet!)

She is definitely not overweight due to doing yoga:

These are Jessie and Oreo two of my 'Grandkits'

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18BZhzUN7EWXnzJC3BhChJ1-i-OInXTrt/view?usp=sharing

I'll be back!

• Jene74
    Jene74 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all Iam Jen and new to The forum but have arthritis in both legs and I wear fitted leg braces called unloaders until I get surgery . Anyway I have my own cat who is my Gabriel he is 7 this year and look I after my community cats which include a mum Luna and her 3 kittens snowy , blackie , and brandy . Cosmo a big Tom and ginger who has recently joined the pack .the kittens are nearly 10 months old now . Iam in the cats protection local volunteers group and help to monitor them and get them trap neutered and returned. I have turned my shed in to a comfy space for them with baskets and toys . they get all the food, chicken and cat milk they need I just love them . I swear they saved my life as they needed me and kept me going through some bad times .I love them with all my heart and they pushed me to carry on working as I needed to provide for them in the manor to Which they have become accustomed 😂 I will post some pics if figure out how to do it on here Jen x Don’t know how to get my photo’s on sorry I have tried ☹️
  • YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi @Jene74

A very warm welcome to the online community from myself and all the team. What a brilliant idea - and name - for the help you need with the unloaders until surgery. I wonder if they are new, I shall have a look around soon.

It sounds like you are in quite a good place at the moment so I shall leave you with the link to the Versus Arthritis website which has lots of articles and information about all things arthritis related

I can see you have already made a post elsewhere, I'm looking forward to reading many more

Take care

Yvonne x

• Mike1

The importance of pets cannot be underestimated, especially if you live alone like me and are virtually housebound. It is no exaggeration to say that without my Vixen there is a very good chance that I would not be here now. I think I rely on her more than she relies on me!

• Mike1

The importance of pets cannot be underestimated, especially if you live alone like me and are virtually housebound. It is no exaggeration to say that without my Vixen there is a very good chance that I would not be here now. I think I rely on her more than she relies on me!

• frogmorton

This is Tommy Thumb (Tommy for short) he is my nephew and niece-in-law's pusskin. If you look closely you will see he has thumbs!

Hi @Jene74 welcome to the forum from me too. I have posted these from my google drive account using the shareable link feature.

You sound to be a lovely caring person and just the kind I like - being a mad cat-lady myself. As Mike says we must not underestimate what our animals give to us ((()))

• numptynora

And a welcome from me too Jene74. You have a triple gold star from me for your help with cats protection and I echo what Mike and frog have said.

numps x

Numps x
  • Mike1

My cat has been a lot more supportive of late: ........

causes a problem when I need a piddle though!

• frogmorton

Oh I know my Sleek/Daisy/Diddi-cat keeps getting close by and i need a wee or a cuppa 🙄

Either that or blam in the middle of the bed!

I think Vixen thinks she's helping though bless her🤗

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 4. May 2020, 15:56

This is my current two, both from rescue. Elsie is the ginger fluff ball, Toby the black and white nutcase. We cat-proofed the garden to stop them getting run over on the road, so we put up some look out posts to compensate. Elsie is a bit tubby and can't reach the top shelf, although she gives it a go sometimes. She doesn't know she's a cat, and has no hunting instinct whatsoever. The birds don''t even fly off when she walks past. She just thinks her job in life is to look cute and sit on me until my leg hurts too much. Toby is a complete nutcase who destroys everything, so we've had to cat-proof the house as well (and which is probably why he ended up in rescue at 11 months old). His hunting technique is similar to a two year old chasing pigeons in the park, so he only gets the odd mouse, most of which he brings home to play with so we have to do the catch and release malarkey.