From bad to worse

Hobble
Hobble Member Posts: 83
edited 9. Apr 2019, 13:15 in Living with arthritis
Hello, hope everyone is doing as well as possible

Sorry it's been a while since I've been on the forum, thanks to my misbehaving joints and immune system.

Over last summer the consultant added in Leflunomide which did seem to be helping but unfortunately when the dose was increased it caused a few side effects so I was taken off it and the methotrexate was increased to 25mg. Since then I've had every bug going, a horrible chest infection which has upset my usually well controlled asthma and to top it off, I've now developed seborrhoeic dermatitis on my face. I was wondering if it's common with psoriatic arthritis to develop seborrhoeic dermatitis or if it's part of the joys of disease modifying drugs or autoimmune. I'm on my third steroid depo since the increase and some joints seem to be getting worse.

Any advice or opinions will be greatly received
Thanks in advance.

Hobble xx

Comments

• BettyMac
    BettyMac Member Posts: 201
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Hobble

Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time of it.
    I don't know if I have any answers for you but I can certainly empathise - having had the worst asthma in thirty years, following a nasty flu bug, and several skin issues, which made me wonder if I could add psoriasis to my RA.

What eventually cleared up my skin was a steroid cream with added antibiotic and antifungal. I now have clear skin around my ears and eyebrows for the first time in years.

Hope you find some answers.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I am sorry to hear that things are not going well at the moment. Repeated infections is not good, it might be time to increase / improve your hand hygiene, always have anti-bac wipes to hand when out and about and to stop kissing people hello. People are filthy and have filthy habits for those of us who are immuno-suppressed; we have to be continually assiduous in our defences against germs.

The meds have suppressed my asthma but I still need my inhalers, especially at this time of year as the pollen bombs start exploding. As for the skin I haven't a clue, my PsA is currently active so my skin is not happy (I've been flaring for a month now but I think I'm beginning to emerge from the depths). I am using my Dovabet which is a few months out of date which might explain why it isn't doing much: I cannot be bothered to get more as that means faffing about with a GP appointment.

This crud happens, it's part-and-parcel of auto-immune arthritis which is why I prefer my OA as that is more honest in how it presents. The storm will pass but only when it's blown itself out, we have no say in when that will be and there's not much we can do until it does. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    I'm sorry. It must have been a horrible time for you but I have no suggestions other than to ask if they're sure it's not just psoriasis on your face if yours is PsA. Mind you, the DMARDS should help not hinder that.

Winter is a bad time for acquiring bugs and it might be that you'd have got them anyway even without the 'help' of immunosuppressants. Certainly, if we are physically run down it's easier to acquire the nasties.

I hope things will settle soon. In the meantime I can only concur with DD. Up the handwashing and antibac stuff and keep as far as possible from anyone known to have a cold, virus etc, especially children who are notorious germ factories.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hobble
    Thank you all for your replies 😊

I will definitely be taking on board all your advice . I'm vary wary about getting close to people because of bugs and never been comfortable doing the hello hug and kiss and tell people I have a bug if they're known hug and kiss offenders :lol:
    Thank you also for your kind words x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, how are things going now? I hope there's been an improvement. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hobble

Hi DD, sorry it's been a while

Unfortunately failed with the Leflunomide because of side effects. Remained on Methotrexate for a while then had my arm twisted to re try the Leflunomide on a lower dose. It did help but the side effects returned even with the lower dose 😞 so again remained on Methotrexate but a lower dose and then by December I was started on Sulfasalizine along with Methotrexate, then by the end of January just solely on Sulfasalizine. At the start of September had an awful dry chest infection which lasted weeks and has worsened the asthma but being off the methotrexate did reduce the infections and the Sulfasalizine on it's own did work well for a while so I can't complain at that ☺

hope you've been doing as well as possible and staying safe ☺ xx