How do people deal with the side effects of Gabapentin?

Adan
Adan Member Posts: 3
edited 15. May 2020, 21:34 in Living with arthritis
Does anyone else suffer from lack of focus, difficulty concentrating, forgetfulness and mood swings?
Tagged:

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    edited 28. Apr 2020, 20:26

Hi @Adan, welcome to the online Community.

Sorry to hear you have side-effects from taking Gabapentin. I'm sure members who have experience of taking this for fibromyalgia will be able to help you out.

Do join in across the forums, share your experience and chat. You will be most welcome.

Best wishes

Brynmor

• Bluebell7
    Bluebell7 Member Posts: 41

Hi,

Have you discussed with your DR? Could be you need a dose adjustment.

Hope you feel better very soon.

Take care

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I used to suffer these side effects when I was on it. At the time I did a bit of lecturing and public speaking and, on occasion, I would stop talking mid-sentence and then carry on after a few seconds without me noticing it but everyone else did. Report it to your GP/Pain Clinic and try something else.

• I found taking Gabapentin gave me a massive appetite.
    I stopped taking them tbh.
    I'd tried Tramadol before which caused me terrible sweats.
    I went back to Codeine and Paracetamol in the end ,which is more tolerable for me.
    Every drug has side effects.
    It's the lesser of two evils I guess.
  • Al
    Al Member Posts: 169
    edited 29. Apr 2020, 10:20

Hi and welcome @LancsLainey

It's great to meet you, you have come to the right place for information and conversation with others like you living one or more forms of arthritis

There are many here more than happy to share their experience as you share yours.

This link is for general information regarding any type of arthritis

About arthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis

Find out more about the different conditions, treatments and how to manage your symptoms.

if you have a specific question please post in the Living with Arthritis discussion or for general chat in the Chit Chat discussion. Just join in wherever you feel comfortable

Al

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Oddly enough gabapentin was the only medication I ever tried (got up to 3600mg a day) which never caused any problems for me.

Sadly it didn't work either. 😕

Is it helping at all?

If not I would have a chat to your GP in your shoes.

• Kerstin
    Kerstin Member Posts: 3
    edited 14. May 2020, 11:46
    I take it only twice a day 100mg but my whole body gone numb. I cant walk cant eat by myself anymore I react strongly to gabapentin and same with amitriptyline but it's only medication that stops my electric shocks through whole body which last hours and very painful x I can concentrate but very tired. And always feel like on a boat. X
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Gosh Kerstin that sounds pretty awful😕

I suppose if it helps with something as dreadful as electric shock pains .

Sending some ((())) for you