Hi 👋 New here.

Just a little about myself. I’m 23 years old and was diagnosed with RA when I was 19. I’ve always been an extremely active person riding horses and playing various sports, so have always been confused why this happened to me. RA doesn’t run in my family, when I was born I had congenital toxoplasmosis and have always wonder if these are linked?

I get almost frustrated with days where I will get a flare up and unable to work or carry out my job properly. People look at me at work as if I’m lying or putting it on. Just because it’s not visible for others to see they don’t believe you.

Hope everyone is Staying safe.

Harriet

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi Harriet,

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

Sorry to hear that you have RA and at such a young age. It must have been a major shock when you were diagnosed having led a very active sporting life and no doubt feeling pretty healthy. It must be very frustrating for you that some people at work feel that you're 'putting it on' when you're in fact suffering.

In addition to this forum you may also find our main website has some useful information on RA https://www.versusarthritis.org/search?query=RA

Also, if at any point you feel that out helpline can be of benefit then you can call on 0800 5200 520, or email helpline@versusarthritis.org (Mon - Fri 9:00am – 6:00pm).

I hope that the dialogue you get from others on the forum who are in a similar position will be of benefit to you.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Ria_Mae
    Ria_Mae Member Posts: 5

Hi Harriet,

I am also new too! My name is Ria, i got arthritis when I was about 11 and I am now 17 with RA and it also doesnt run in my family. Apparently its 'idiopathic' which it basically just turned up.

I completely understand the frustration of people constantly judging even though they have no idea what it is like! Invisible illnesses are very annoying but I hope you can ignore them because it is your body and you know when it hurts.

Hope you stay well!

-Ria