What cures work for you?

Lucy
Lucy Member Posts: 3
I’ve found too much exercise exacerbates osteoarthritis and I’ve tried turmeric unsuccessfully. I find diclofenac helps a little and not staying still for too long helps. But I often wake up in pain.

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi Lucy

welcome to the forums, it is lovley to have you here. It's good to see that you have found some treatments that help you to manage you arthritis. What kind of arthritis do you have? I am sure some of our other members will share with you the things that help them to manage thier arthritis as well.

We have a section on our website about some of the different medical treatments that are available here

we also have a section on the website about complementary treatments here

I am sure our members will share with you the thing they find most useful to manage their arthritis

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Hi Lucy

I have recently been prescribed Naprosyn which is taking the edge of a little

• Darko74
    Darko74 Member Posts: 8

Hi,

I've found that the co-codamol 30/500mg seems to take the edge off as long as i take the gapapentin 100mg and the tramadol 150mg with the duloxitine 60mg.Having trouble sleeping with the pain recently.

• Hi I have just started using Flexiseq after practice nurse suggested giving it a try !

Totrek

Have become a fan of Star Trek during Lckdown

• Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119

Actually there are no ‘cures’ that actually work, as this forum wouldn’t be required. There are several medications that ease pain, swelling etc, but a cure is sadly not yet available

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

There are no cures, I am on a reasonably high level of Morphine which only takes the edge off - most of the time. There are a number of crank claims in the ether offering a "cure" which are bogus. I hear that sitting naked in a bath of toad spawn in an Oak wood during a full moon works but I have yet to try it!

• Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119

Folk suffering from so far ‘incurable’ diseases are at their most vulnerable when the medicine doctor comes a knocking. Please don’t spend your hard earned on false promises, until a ‘cure’ has been thoroughly tested and is available free on the NHS. However if certain creams/oils etc are Inexpensive and medically harmless, what the heck?

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

I wish I knew the answer to this too, but I find swearing at my leg helps when it’s firing off.

• Anyone know anything about Flarin? Not tried it yet....so asking for advice/experiences. I have osteoarthritis in my fingers.....surprisingly so far not my thumbs! Touch wood!

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hello @AustraliaBaby1 and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in your fingers. The medication you mention is Ibuprofen as far as I can see which is widely available.

You might also find the following of interest

Please keep posting and let us know how you are getting on

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 218

Hello @AustraliaBaby1 have you tried Capsaicin cream, available on prescription. I use that and Co-codomol to help my hand pain. I too have osteoatrthritis in my hands, worst in my thimbs.

Word of warning though this is made from Chillis so be carfeul not to rub your eyes or mouth once you've applied it.

Best wishes

• jonr
    jonr Member Posts: 398

Hi Lucy,

It's difficult to strike the right balance when it comes to exercise, the general concensus being that it's important in terms of building up strength in the affected joint, plus it aids fitness and mental health levels. However, as you point out, it can leave one feeling painful so how best to manage it?

I have OA in both knees, I find wearing knee supports aids stability and the compression helps the swelling. In terms of meds/natural remedies I have found Bromelain eases swelling and for pain management I have recently started using a TENS machine, taking CBD capsules and attending acupuncture sessions, all to good effect.

• Moira
    Moira Member Posts: 88

Targetted exrecise is good - little and often. Leon's videos are brilliant. also get and appointment with a good physio and carry through the exercises. The muscles need to be strong enought to support the damaged joints. Pain killers can help but if you become too dependent on them they are less efficatious.

During Halloween I think all of us with arthritis will be queueing up at the shops selling plastic skeltons! I just need a new one!!

Not tried accupuncture but friends have told me that is good. I go to Tai Chi classes, specially designed for older people and those with muscular-skeletal problems and have found that really helpful. Some elderly keep-fit/sytreach classes are also good.

Good luck.