Do you think 1800mg of gabapentin is excessive amount

JoolzB
JoolzB Member Posts: 2
edited 15. May 2020, 21:35 in Living with arthritis
I have aoustioatheritis, carpal tunnel in both wrists and left elbow . Dr put me on gabapentin over a yr ago . Also take tramadol to aid sleep at night . Do you guys think it's a tad heavy . I'm also type 2 diabetic insulin dependent. Got loads going for me lol.
Tagged:

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi @JoolzB

Welcome to the online community, it's great to have you here.

You have osteoarthritis, is this of your hands too? and then you have carpel tunnel in wrists and elbow. You are concerned at the amount of gabapentin you are taking. The amount you mention is the usual starting dose, it varies from 1800 to 3600 usually taken 3 times daily. I too take tramodol - that is an opiod painkiller, I take mine twice a day. I don't think it is usually given to help you sleep.

Here is our general information on OA

The thing with any pain relief is to take as little as you can to give you control of your pain and a clear head. So it might be time to discuss your medication with your doctor to see if you should alter dose or medication. Never stop meds without talking it through with your GP, some meds are best reduced slowly.

How are you ding otherwise? How far has your treatment of carpel tunnel got?

Take care

Yvonne x

• Jen6
    Jen6 Member Posts: 4

Hi I’m Jen

• Jen6
    Jen6 Member Posts: 4

Hi I’m Jen I have cervical arthritis which affects most body parts I too am prescribed gabapentin also morphine and amitriptyline. I have degenerative disc thyroid disfunction, Reynard s, fibromyalgia I’m wondering if any of these are connected xx