Shielding and Vitamin D.

dreamdaisy
dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
edited 29. May 2020, 11:34 in Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I have been shielding for sometime now, and have more time to come. Yes, it has been sunny and yes, I am fortunate to have a garden but it has not been that warm outside so I have resumed my Vitamin D plus calcium tablets to help maintain my bone health. I buy them from Sainsbury's and will keep taking them on a regular basis during this period of necessary indoor living.

I must make it clear that this is a decision made off my own bat, no-one has told me to do it. To me it is common sense as I am not getting my usual levels of sunshine and even when the weather warms up I will halve the dose and take it every alternate day just to help things along. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
Tagged:

Comments

• annie21
    annie21 Member Posts: 4

I too take a daily vitamin D tablet as I've read that it can help the immune system. I can't spend too long in the sun as it brings me out in a rash. I also take omega 3 supplements as they are anti-inflammatory.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I have been taking a multi-vitamin for years as my food intake isn't brilliant as I cannot peel and prepare fresh veg or meat so rely on ready meals a lot. This is from the NHS website: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

Coronavirus update

Consider taking 10 micrograms of vitamin D a day to keep your bones and muscles healthy.

This is because you may not be getting enough vitamin D from sunlight if you’re indoors most of the day.

There have been some news reports about vitamin D reducing the risk of coronavirus. However, there is no evidence that this is the case.

Do not buy more vitamin D than you need.

• Kazza52
    Kazza52 Member Posts: 74

Yes, I too have heard that taking Vitamin D will help to keep bones and muscles healthy. As we are in a heatwave at the moment and the sun is shining that is a good source of Vitamin D but remember to always use high factor sun screen and wear a sun hat and glasses and drink lots of fluids to prevent dehydration.

• PatsyPJ
    PatsyPJ Member Posts: 8
    I too take vitamin D as advised by my GP a while ago as I had a deficiency. I did stop at one time but then I had to restart it so now I take it all the time come rain or shine and I think it helps 😎