Is Psoriatic Arthritis covered by the disability act?

I've had quite a lot of sickness over the last year. Been on and off various different meds, all of which have given me different side effects. I've just had a final warning. I don't want to lose my job is there anything I can do? I don't know where to start

Comments

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi

we have a big section on the website all about work here

it might also be worth phoning our helpline for some more personalised support. The definition ofdisibility under the disability act is "You’re disabled under the Equality Act 2010 if you have a physical or mental impairment that has a ‘substantial’ and ‘long-term’ negative effect on your ability to do normal daily activities."

You might also want to contact your union if you are a member of one. Let us know how you get on

Best Wishes

Sharon

• AlanM
    AlanM Member Posts: 46

Hi @Alison_Younge

welcome to the forum.

You have psoriatic arthritis and are worried about your job having been given a final warning due to arthritis-related illness. You want to know if the Equality Act covers psoriatic arthritis.

The definition of a 'disabled person' in the Act is someone with a “physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term effect on his ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”. It seems that, given your difficulties over the last year, you should fall in to this category. Can I suggest you look at the information on our website https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/living-with-arthritis/work/. Also, it would be worth talking to our Helpline to talk through your issues (tel 0800 5200 520).

And, of course, the forum will give you a chance to explore the issues with others.

Good luck with getting the support you need and I look forward to seeing you here.

Best wishes

Alan

• AbbyPink
    AbbyPink Member Posts: 3

If it comes within the definition above then yes it will do. Your employer should make reasonable adjustments to take this into account. For example allowing you more time of before 'triggers' of warnings for sick to take into account your disability. If they using their standard HR sickness policy for someone with PsA I would suggest they don't have a very good HR department. That saying if they have used reasonable adjustments then they can still provide warnings, etc.