walking shoes/boots for people with osteo-arthritis in the foot

Options

Hello. Can anybody give me advice about makes of walking shoes or boots? There is a bewildering choice on-line (which is the only way I can get a pair for the time being). I have osteo-arthritis on the big toe joint of my left foot and I want to continue walking in parks and the countryside so I'm looking for an appropriate walking shoes/boots that will protect my joint. Price is not an obstacle.

Sebastian

Comments

• MarzMac
    MarzMac Member Posts: 47
    edited 25. May 2020, 15:59
    Options

Hi @Seb

Welcome to the online community. Please tell us a bit more about yourself -we hope you enjoy meeting new people here.

I see you're looking for brands of footwear to help you continue walking with osteoarthritis in your big toe. I understand its important to find the right type of shoe and it can be a difficult choice. However, we try to discourage members from recommending particular brands to each other as it could be a costly error to discover that what suits one person may not work for anyone else. Please bear this in mind when considering the community's responses.

I'm sharing a link to our website article on walking, which includes advice about taking on a walking challenge and choosing the right footwear. https://www.versusarthritis.org/news/2019/may/walking-your-way-to-happiness/

In some parts of the UK we have trained volunteer walk leaders who run group health walks for people with arthritis, or we may know about local groups who organise walks in your area. Is that something you might be interested in? Obviously, group walks are suspended during the current crisis but will continue in the future when group activities can recommence.

I hope you enjoy chatting here, let us know how you find it or if you have any questions. We look forward to hearing from you in other areas as well. Val's cafe can be a fun place where people pop in regularly, as well as the chit-chat forum.

Best wishes

MarzMac

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

I have psoriatic arthritis in all my toes and both knees plus OA in my ankles, knees and hips. I have yet to find any footwear which is comfortable and does not aggavate matters but being in my 24th arthritic year I guess the damage is done and nothing can undo it.

Go for quality, maybe half or even a size larger to allow room for thick socks. Walk shorter distances and more often so you are covering the same distances you're used to. Use Nordic walking poles too, to ease some of the strain on your currently unaffected joints. Have you thought about cyclng? It is non weight-bearing, you can go a deal further, see more and get a bit of cardio work in too. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Seb
    Seb Member Posts: 3
    Options

Thanks for your suggestions. I am thinking about cycling also. The only drawback is I have osteoporosis and cycling doesn't help much but I'm thinking of taking it up again. I have walking poles and will use them more often.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Is it an either/or? Why not walk one day, rest the next day, cycle the next, rest agan etc? DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • remmingtonwildhunter
    Options
    I use Brashers hi boots had them years also have mamute if you go to George Fisher or Rathbones in Cumbrja you can try them the have steep inclines steps...
    Ive had both knees replaced and an ankle fushion
  • YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi there,

It is not usual to give specific information on where to buy goods in the online forum, it would be more appropriate to use a pm for such information. The reason is that advertising is not allowed as mentioned in our terms and conditions. Mentioning the name of the type of shoes you have bought yourself is OK since Seb secifically asked for the makes of some shoes for him to compare.

Footwear is a very individual item so please look around Seb. I have tried a couple of searches to help narrow your search, putting wide fitting shoes seems helpful and helped me to work out what shoes were best suited for myself. I narrowed the search down further putting in wide fitting shoes for bunions, thinking that might help your toe having osteoarthritis. You can also download and print a shoe size finder so you can find your exact shoe size in both length and width.

I hope this helps your search

Yvonne

PS I like the link above - I shall be checking out the disabled ramblers association, I didn't know about that!