Fire in the hold!

Well it doesn't just rain, it really pours.

Last Monday at 5.30am I was woken up with a bang and all the smoke alarms blasting out on all cylinders. I flew out of bed (*first mistake) and rushed into the kitchen to find flames lashing up the wall from the cooker, the intercom was blaring and the voice on the other end asking me if there was a fire? Yes, I shouted gasping for breath (copd)

Next there was a gorgeous fireman at the door (the alarm goes straight to the fire station) he ushered me out the back door while the other fireman dowsed what was left of the fire and made the cooker safe meanwhile, yet another fireman was trying to find my four cats and and reassure me that they were ok, (he found them hiding under the bed bless....)

I'm now coughing up soot and when the ambulance arrived, they took over from the *gorgeous* one to help calm my breathing down and made me a very welcome cup of tea because I wouldn't go to hospital. *Flying out of bed like that aggravated the copd and caused a bad flare of my fibro' and rheumy, thankfully the surgery had filled the script for my new pain killers which I'm now taking. Up until two days ago I was still blowing soot out my nose!

Since all that happened, the cats have stayed really close to me and follow me where ever I go. My Lady (that helps me in the home) set to and started to clean the walls and celling but it's going to take a long while before I can have it re-decorated, she also went straight out and found a new microwave and toaster for me but, I'm still waiting for the insurance to tell me what will happen about the cooker.

Numps x
Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.

Comments

• ellsbells
    ellsbells Member Posts: 31

You will find soot 10 yrs later when you get new kitchen units it gets everywher.

• numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782

I'm sure you're right ellsbells, I'm even finding it in the bathroom! it's the second time this has happened, the first time was bad enough but this time it really has shaken me....hey ho

Numps x
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Glad that you and the cats are OK.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Wow, what a scary episode!! The smell will take a while to clear too. I hope your insurers come up trumps. Your poor puss cats, it will take them a while to recover from the trauma, I hope your collective blood pressure soon returns to normal.

• numptynora

Thank you Mike1 and Lilymary, yes the cats are ok now, it's a trauma I don't want to relive again in a hurry though, It's just as well I have lost my sense of smell or it would be driving me mad, I've been putting off cleaning out the wall cupboards but today It's my project so, at least it will keep me occupied for a few hours!!

Numps x
  • numptynora

My new cooker arrived on Monday, (but that's a story for another time!) My Lady has worked her magic in my kitchen and everything is spotless I just have to find someone to redecorate now!

Numps x
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Glad to hear your getting things back to normal. That would have been no mean feat!

• numptynora

Thank you Lilymary, you're right it was no mean feat, if it hadn't been for my 'lady' it would never have happened, she really is worth twice her weight in gold, she's been my contact with the 'outside world' for the past twelve weeks.

Numps x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

Hell of a way to meet new friends? Tic toc or tinder would be a better way! Haha wot a story......