about my hands

when my hands are really bad with the pain in them I can't do any of the craft like crocha or grip anything it's a really struggle at time

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @jenperks1 welcome to the Online Community, it's lovely to have you here.

It does sound as though you have some form of arthritis in your hands but have you had a full diagnosis from a doctor or medical professional? There are several conditions that can cause pain or other symptoms in the hands and wrists, including types of arthritis.

You may like to look at our web site page regarding Hand and Wrist Pain to see if the information is of help.

Do join in across the Community, ask questions, give advice or just call in for a chat to let us know how you are getting on.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• PatsyPJ
    PatsyPJ Member Posts: 8

I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I know how you feel my worst hand is my dominant right

my index fingers being the worst they are swollen painful and I find my self not using them like I should due to pain and lack of movement I was due steroid injections in the joints but due to covid I haven’t had them yet or my physio. I was only diagnosed in February and they are not sure if I’m developing psoriatic arthritis. My big toes are painful and they say my knees are wearing as is my neck.

i try to do what I can , but when I relax my whole body doesn’t want to work after I find it hard standing up after sitting have to get my self going .im not really sure what goes on with my body some days .

my shoulders hurt but I don’t know if it’s muscular. Apart from that I’m fine 😂😂

stay safe x

• Jennifer
    Jennifer Member Posts: 7
    I have OA in my hands to & many other joints. They are stiff when I awake in the morning & my thumb, first & middle finger of my dominant right hand have no feeling in them because of carpal tunnel syndrome as well. I do feel for you. Like you if i sit to long in one position I find it hard to get going again. I feel so old just lately. Mind mind is telling me that I'm not but my body is definitely telling me that I am. Stay safe
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

OA in my hands and wrists is one of my problems, I still manage to do a bit of model making and woodwork but have had to adapt the way I do it and even then can only sustain periods of about 15 to 20 minutes at a time. I find holding things like a telephone or book an issue to. Basically it is a case of trying to adapt and find new ways of doing things.

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 488
    Hi Mike, I have OA in my hands too, it's horrendous and I sympathise. I haven't been able to hold a book for a long time. I now use a kindle and listen through headphones or use a stand. Phones are bad things, when you're texting the vibration of typing on the keyboard causes awful pain when holding it in your hand, headphones again for calls. Use the phone on a table or surface to text. Bad day clothes that you can put on easily, filling kettle from a jug or getting someone to do it last thing at night for that first cuppa helps stiff hands. I choose to just use a fork for meals apart from soup lol. Dorks are good for sitting most things. Hold containers under you bad arm to open then with good hand. I've adapted a lot of ways of doing things so yell if you're stuck with something. Stay safe love n hugs Trish
  • Claudia
    Claudia Member Posts: 4

My hands started hurting this week, all the joints. I made a doctor appointment for Wednesday. It was scary the way it happened so suddenly. Like Jennifer, it made me feel old. Thank you for sharing. It is good to hear that I will still be able to do the things that I enjoy.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

@jenperks1 you can buy large grip utensils crochet hooks and the like which will help a little bit ((()))

@Claudia have you both seen hands is the subject of Versus Arthritis' tweet today??

https://twitter.com/VersusArthritis