Pain in side of left foot

Hi everyone!
I wondered if anyone is dealing with a similar problem. I was diagnosed with OA nearly two years ago On the side of my left foot just below the base of my little toe I have red, painful swelling. For several months now the situation has been worsening Walking for increasing amounts of time sends sharp pain.

Gout has been ruled out and an x-ray showed no fracture. My doctor seems a little clueless and only recommends wearing appropriate padded footwear.

Any ideas would be welcome (I was diagnosed with bone spurs in my right foot.

Comments

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

Certainly the signs and symptoms you display are along the lines expected on OA and what I experienced. It took twenty years for the medical world to go from basic diagnosis to doing something for me, a fusion.

keep smiling

its a grin, honest!

• Hi Airwave!

Thanks for replying to my post. It took 20 years ?! Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. It's helpful for me to hear other people's stories as I've no experience of how the medical profession can be towards someone with OA. The response I've received from several gp's at my practice, it's just OA, not really much can be done etc

As I'm looking for a new job, I do need some answers as I don't know if my old career of customer service where you can be quite active is anymore appropriate?

A fusion?

I will look up more and I'll definitely keep smiling. I'm lucky, my mum passed away before she was 50, with complications for Rheumatoid Arthritis.

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

It’s just OA does not cut any ice with me, I’ve had OA since I was young, do they really expect me to put up with a diagnosis like that?

There is much to be done but not by GPS , but by yourself, ask for a referral to the Pain Clinic, talk to the helpline, cognitive therapy is much more powerful than painkillers with no side affects, you just have to learn how to use it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hi Christian, thanks for your advice, especially as you've been dealing with OA in your feet too. I'm trying to see if I can do exercises to help but I didn't think about a referral to the pain clinic. Thanks again.
  • MarzMac
    MarzMac Member Posts: 47

Hi everyone

I found an area on our website with specific information on foot pain https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/foot-and-ankle-pain/ in case any of this is useful.

Best wishes

MarzMac

• Thanks Christian. Its good advice. I was referred initially about two years ago to an orthotics clinic. When they open again I'll see about referring myself back there.

Best wishes