New Friends

Constance
Constance Member Posts: 37
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hello

I am a lady aged 74 and would like to make a few new friends to discuss "living with arthritis" . I have had arthritis for over 40 years and feel that I have coped pretty well so far. I have recently been diagnosed with cervical spondylosis and find the neck pain unbearable at times. Any tips to help alleviate this pain would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hello Constance. Welcome to the crew. I’m sorry you’ve had to put up with this for so long, it sounds wretched. I’m a hip warrior, rubbish joints run in our family (well, more hobble than run really). I’m sure someone will be along soon who shares your condition.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

@Constance oh dear! The neck. One of the worst places in my own experience. Our heads are so heavy!

When mine flares up I am very very careful and use a variety of things to help mostly though resting and pain relief. I am prepared to up the painkillers (and risk constipation!) at such times. I use a wheat-bag on my sore neck too to soothe things.

Mostly I just get by though. I ditched my two fluffy pillows the first time mine really 'went' and my skin on my chest and shoulder went numb. I initially used only a rolled up hand towel in my neck when I laid down.

Now I have one of those contoured pillows to keep my spine aligned.

If i feel a neck flare coming on i try to head it off quickly with rest and painkillers anti-inflammatories before it gets hold of me.

You have my sympathy ((()))

• Constance

Hello Lilymary and Toni

Thank you for getting in touch. I feel that I am not alone now with aches and pains. Tips given much appreciated.

Stay safe x

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

Hello, what a beautiful name: my Mother's mother was also a Constance. I have psoriatic plus osteoarthritis and am currently mired in my arthritic nonsense but wanted to acknowledge your post. I began aged 37 and am now in my 24th year of it. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Constance

Hello dreamdaisy

Hope that you are having a pain free day and thank you for your comment.

• dreamdaisy

Pain-free days are ancient history now and something for others to enjoy. I have been very busy this morning making tree silhouette cards with sparkly backgrounds which has been very gratifying. My husband has baked cheese scones which should also be gratifying. I can tell it's getting towards summer as I am wearing a cotton poncho for warmth.

How are you spending your days, Constance? Do you find a wheat bag comforting for your neck? DD

• Constance

Hi DD

I do find a wheat bag very rewarding. Waiting for an appointment to see Spinal clinic with regards to my neck. Had MRI scan just before lock down. Can't read too much or use my laptop for long periods as pain in neck becomes unbearable. Have tried doing a few Zoom meetings which has been successful. I am sure your scones were delicious. Constance

• dreamdaisy

Reading and laptopping involve too much looking down which isn't good for us. I do not read books now due to dodgy fingers and wrists so my Kindle is a boon, lightweight and I can read lying down with propped on a pillow on my tummy.

It's definitely summer here, the lights and the central heating are on. The scones were good - today we will be having Yorkshire Brack, a gorgeous tea loaf. DD

• Constance

Hello DD

How are your aches and pains today? Mine is no different to other days. Now we are told not to take too much paracetamol what next!! I am starting to do some neck exercises and pray that this will help in some way.

Hope scones are in the oven to enjoy later with a cuppa.

• Lilymary

Hi Constance, sorry to hear your neck is still troubling you, exercise is always a good thing if you can manage it. Try to warm your shoulders and neck a little as it helps the muscles and tendons relax and you’ll get the benefit of the stretches a bit more.

I like to use a wheatbag too when I’ve yanked my hip (usually trying to catch mice the cat’s brought in!). If nothing else, the warmth is nice.

• Constance

Sounds like good advice, will give it a go. Ready to try anything.

• Shell_H
    Shell_H Member Posts: 548

With regards to reading, if you're willing to download the kindle app for your computer you could read on your computer, which would reduce the amount you have to look down a lot. It would require a comfortable computer set up, but it's much easier to adjust the height of a monitor for comfort of your neck then to hold a book up at head height. The downside is having to buy your books again on electronic format.... But I love reading too much to give it up for anything. There's also the audio book option, of which there are now a huge variety available. This doesn't work for me - I need the visual for some reason - but loads of people do enjoy it and it's worth a consideration.

• Constance

Will try and download kindle app on computer and thanks for your advice Shell-H

• Constance

Hi everyone

I would just like to let you know that since doing my neck exercises twice daily that there has been a vast improvement in my neck pain. Those dreadful headaches have all but disappeared and is much easier getting out of bed each morning. So don't give up always stay positive with whatever pain you are going through right now there could also be a light at the end of the tunnel for you.

Stay safe and cosy

Constance

• Lilymary

That’s really good to hear @Constance. My hip has been rubbish lately and a recent steroid injection had no effect, so I’m starting exercises in earnest now. Your post has really encouraged me. Hope you continue to feel the benefit.

• Constance

Thanks Lilymary hope that you get some relief from your hip pain too. Please let me know how you get on.

Take care

x