Osteoarthritis in lower back

Options
BusyLizzie1
BusyLizzie1 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi to everyone I was misdiagnosed with a fractured spine following a fall,still in considerable pain some 6 weeks later & suffering quite a bit as I had gone back to work ,my GP referred me to go for a MRI.This time it revealed a fracture at T 12 ,Osteoarthritis & Paget s disease much further up my spine.I have had to give up working at 53 & my life has changed dramatically.

My pain is constant & severe enough for me to have slow release morphine i am awaiting spinal injections to see if that will help.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 680
    Options

Hi @BusyLizzie and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

I’m sorry to hear about your fall and subsequent diagnosis.  I hope the spinal injections help with your pain management.

Our website has a huge amount of information on OA, Pagets disease as well as exercises and pain management. If you haven’t already visited the main website then I suggest you start here https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/pagets-disease-of-bone/

You can also call our free Helpline on 0800 5200 520, or email helpline@versusarthritis.org (Mon - Fri 9:00am – 8:00pm) if you ever feel they could be of help.

I hope that other forum members who have had similar symptoms will be able to share their experiences and offer you some support.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Hi BusyLizzie

I have widespread OA which includes the whole of my spine (I also have Degenerative Facet Joint Disease as well and a couple of compressed discs and a detached disc in my neck). I have had OA for over 20 years but had to give up work at about the same age as you, I am now 62, so I sympathise greatly. I am on slow release morphine and Oramorph as a top up whenever I want it. I had the spinal injections you mentioned, they are a combination of anaesthetic and steroids as far as I remember, they are supposed to work for up to 3 months but lasted me about 10 days, they are well worth trying though.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Hello, I am rowing a different arthritis boat (mostly slowly and in circles) but understand pain as mine is widespread. My spine is OK at the moment but other bits are not. Over my 24 arthritic years I have learned that the stronger the pain relief the more we are removed from the pain rather than vice-versa, which is not ideal or as things should be but it's as good as it gets. I hope the injections, when you get them, are helpful for a decent length of time. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben