About to start Adalimumab

Hi everyone, hope you are all well?
My rheumatologist is starting me on Adalimumab soon for my rheumatoid arthritis and I just wanted to see if anyone else on here is on it and what how they've found it?
This will be my first ever biologic medication (tried most other DMARDs with no success) and I'm just a bit nervous about it, especially with the Covid situation.
Thanks
Amy x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I've been taking it for years with no trouble. Together with the meth I inject my psoriatic arthritis is controlled which is the aim of the game I am playing. For many others who are younger and diagnosed more rapidly it has been a game-changer and I hope it so proves for you. We rarely hear from them which is a pity but understandable.

I haven't found that covid has made any difference to my hygeine standards but it has brought the more responsible members of the population up to my level. It won't last though, the healthy are a contemptuous lot as so vividly demonstrated yesterday around the south coast. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • AmyAcorn
    AmyAcorn Member Posts: 29
    Hi Dreamdaisy
    Thankyou so much for your response, it definitely puts me at ease hearing it helps and that you don't have any issues with it.
    I've had Rheumatoid Arthritis for about 9 years now but it's just gotten pretty bad over the past year.
    Thankfully my work have allowed me to continue working from home for as long as I need to when I start these injections so I can stay safe Covid wise, which puts me at ease a bit more too.
    I know what you mean about healthy members of the public not being bothered about social distancing anymore though, the pictures of everyone at the beaches yesterday was ridiculous!
    Thanks
    Amy x
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 26. Jun 2020, 10:47

You're welcome. I am dubiously blessed to be in my 24th year of auto-immune arthritis so know most of the ropes, I am also retired plus child and mortgage-free. I was also lucky with work as I was self-employed so had a fabulously understanding boss. It must be much harder for younger folk and I am so pleased not to be in that number. Auto-immune junk ran in both my parents' families and I got everything on offer plus some extras personal to me.

When I used to be out and about my bag always had hand gel, anti-bac wipes, a flannel for the sweats (I run hot probably thanks to the meth) and a plastic bag for detritus. Table tops would be wiped, cutlery too, sometimes door handles. I rarely fell ill. One of my more notable achievements was to hold up a supermarket queue because the till operator let loose a audden, almighty sneeze all over my shopping. I had to wipe the lot and he had to sanitise his hands. Luckily I don't give a damn what people think, one of the few benefits of age!

I presume you have your annual flu jab? I forgot to say it helps to remove the pen from the fridge at least twenty minutes before injecting as that reduces the potential for stinging. I use my stomach area for the humira as it has fewer nerve endings but never near the navel. I use my thighs for the meth. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben