Side effects from meds

Hi my name is Annie I am 67 years young and have osteoarthritis, polymyalgia rheumatica. It has taken me a very long time to realise I am not going to get better, I cannot take any of the meds on offer because I suffer from the side effects real bad. You name the meds I have had them. I have ended up in hospital many times through the side effects of them, even to the extent of having a camera put in my wrist to my heart as the docs thought it was bad. If you ever have to have that done please do not worry. It did not hurt at all, it was not even uncomfortable, I just felt a tingle in my shoulder. Co Codamol gives me bad headaches and paracetamol gives me symptoms of very bad period pains. So I'm very limited. I do use a lot of ibuprofen gel, I also have gastritis, a very thin stomach lining. I have yet to meet or talk to anyone who cannot take the meds.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968

Hi @Anie and welcome to the online community,

Living with osteoarthritis and polymyalgia rheumatica has been made more challenging for you since you experience bad side effects from much of the medication. I'll let other members get in contact about what meds they take and how they affect them, but before I do, I'll link you to a page from the Versus Arthritis website about dealing with pain and possible alternatives to medication:

I'm glad that your experience of having a camera inserted in your wrist was a positive one - thanks for sharing it as I'm sure it will reassure others who may be worried about having to go through the same procedure.

Do have a look round the other forums and join in whenever you want to.

Best wishes,

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Anie
    Anie Member Posts: 2

Thank you Anna I am going to have a good look round x

• Saltmarsh
    Saltmarsh Member Posts: 42
    So sorry you're suffering. Just in case your Dr hasn't included it, there are tummy protectors which help with meds. I take Omeprazole 1 daily, and always take my meds on top of food. With your Dr's co-operation, analgesics often need to be on a suck-it-&-see basis. I've been round the Wrekin & settled on Codeine sulphate 15mgs; Naproxen anti-inflammatory has been a good friend to me for many years. BUT even these two are taken in moderation which varies according to severity of sypmtoms, incl those from other conditions, AND dependent on the general health management which I have learned to take seriously. I also have a degenerative spine, long overdue for surgery, but the nerve pain is helped by Pregabalin. These are only my experiences. Unfortunately there is no one magic answer! But have faith and self-confidence. Good luck & good wishes for your journey.