Knee brace/support.

Options

Hello.

I am after some form of knee support/brace. Does anyone have any experience with these. I want something for walking which is comfortable and not sweaty.

Thanks.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I would suggest contacting an Occupational Therapist for help/advice as there are so many variations out there and you need one that actually helps rather than hinders.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,424
    Options

Quoted a bit from versus Arthritis info on knees it says

"....Some people find that knee braces help. You can buy knee braces from sports shops and chemists, but you should speak to your doctor or physiotherapist first, as they might be able to provide braces or recommend the best one for you."

This is the whole article

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee/

• DODGYKNEES
    DODGYKNEES Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Iv used a lot of knee support and braces over the years. Some help, some don't. Some offer short term relief. Most supports and braces roll or slip down a lot. The only brace iv had which hasn't slipped is an ossur unloader brace supplied by the NHS. These are a couple of hundred pounds to buy but luckily free from NHS. Physioroom.com have a wide selection of supports and braces. Hope this helps
  • in2teaching
    in2teaching Member Posts: 22
    edited 2. Nov 2023, 13:34
    Options

@DODGYKNEES Thanks for this. Just recently looked into the unloader brace whilst researching - as I’m uncertain if or when my knee replacement will be. Finally got my diagnosis letter in the post, so will look to see if my gp or consultant can refer me for one. I right in thinking that you can use it and still workout, run, and play sports with it? Thanks!