Swollen calfs

Options

I have had RA and OA for 33 years. Over the last 3years I have been on Benepoli then toxilizumab injections, both were not successful. In March this year I had 2infusions of Rituximab which have not been effective at all. My worry at the moment is my calf’s are terribly swollen and painful, and the stockings I was prescribed are not helping. I am looking for advice. Thank you, Thora Fettes

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

Hello, Thora,

I'm sorry you're struggling currently. I, too, have had RA and OA for years but have never associated swollen calves with either. You say you have been prescribed stockings for them which sounds as if you've done the sensible thing and checked with your docs. Did they say it was connected to the disease(s) or meds? Or just something else? I think you need to go back to your GP and ask. All sorts of things can cause swelling in various bits of our legs and feet and I think you need a professional opinion here.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options

Hello, that does sound unpleasant, I am sorry. Fluid retention springs to my untrained non-medical mind, based on what I have seen of people's legs over the years when out and about. Until you can get the proper and best advice it mght be best to stay off your feet as much as possible, rest with your legs up, knees supported by a pillow and keep sensibly hydrated. I hope things ease soon, I used to swell terribly but always around my joints, never elsewhere. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,741
    Options

My feet and ankles swelled up almost as soon as I went on cocodamol and naproxen after OA diagnosis in March, although it didn’t affect my calves that I noticed. It settled down again after a few months, but it comes back occasionally. I’ve always linked it to the drugs, as it arrived when they did, but I haven’t worked out what triggers occasional recurrences.