COVID-19 antibody test

Hi all, new to this site but it looks a great place to ask the questions niggling in the back of my mind. I have PsA - taking adalimumab.

In February this year I was struck down with a virus/flu like no other. Bed bound for a week and being borderline on going to A+E due to pain and struggling to breathe. In hindsight the symptoms fit with COVID-19.

Last week I had the antibody test and today my result came back as negative (antibody not detected). I have to say I was (weirdly) hoping for a positive result.

Anyone else wondering if they have had it by this point? (and fingers crossed survived)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @deesa05 Welcome to the Versus Arthritis Online Community.

I see you have Psoriatic Arthritis - you will find plenty of pope here who have the same condition I hope the adalimumab is working well for you.

You had an antibody test following 'COVID-like' symptoms in February this year. I think I would also have been disappointed if my test had come back negative so quite understand how you might feel.

I'll leave you to 'meet' our members now.

Take care

Ellen.

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I am one of those popes with PsA and take meth plus humira (adalimumab). I had a tonsillitis-type thing at the beginning of March after meeting germ-ridden relatives in mid-February who assured me they were better before spending the entire time coughing and sneezing all over the shop. I have been shielding since 05 March. Was it covid? Probably not as anti-bios got shot of it and as far as I know tonsils blocking the throat are not symptoms.

This virus, its mechanisms and processes are confounding those who are far more in the know than many. It appears to be illogical in what it does, how it does it and why. People test positive but have no visible symptoms. People have it with symptoms but test negative. Some have it and do not produce anti-bodies, others do. I am not surprised that your test has come back negative, this is the virus that passeth all common understanding and it might well have been just an 'ordinary' winter infection. Apologies for being of no use whatsoever, take care, stay well. DD

PS One member on here has had covid and survived, he might spot your post.

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Hi Deesa,

Welcome and snap on the PsA - albeit I'm on Cimzia as the Humira didn't work for me - I hope you're having more success than I with it! If, for any reason, it doesn't work then may be worth having Cimzia in the back of your mind as a next option as it's been a bloody miracle drug for me.

Completely understand why you're disappointed - I would be as well! A friend of mine works in a hospital and got tested along with 21 others. 18 in total came back positive and a third of them hadn't had any symptoms. DD sums it up perfectly above - the virus is such an unknown entity with inconsistent behaviour. I suppose all you can do is continue to take precautions on the assumption that the test is correct.

Take care

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504

Hi deesa05 ,

I had Covid-19 in early April , took my biologic & was mild for three weeks with it coming & going & then had a chest infection & needed several lots of antibiotics , we had the anti-body test done in june & came back negitive

they would not test anyone forcovid unless you was in hospital , was a bit close at times but never went so never tested

Abbots & Roche test claims to be 100% but there are reports that these could be worse than the ones from China that was only 50% accuate , we are going to have to wait ubtil they got a test that is accurate & until then try to stay safe

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

Comments on tv and radio have said that the antibody (haveIhadit?) tests are not conclusive ,they offer poor results Which is why they are not widely used.

its a grin, honest!