New to this

HelenM
HelenM Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis
My name is Helen and I live in West Wales. New to all this, but wanted to say "Hi!"

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hi @HelenM and welcome to the online community!

Why don't you tell us a bit more about yourself and how you came to be here? You can join in discussions or start your own posts in any of the forums that interest you on the right. We're a friendly group and I'm sure you'll find friends here!

Best wishes,

Anna

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520

I am neither new to the forum or arthritis. I began my first in 1997 and the second was diagnosed in 2011. DD

Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi Helen, I'm newly acquainted with arthritis too, although it's been acquainted with me for many years judging by the damage it's been doing while my attention was elsewhere. Sneaky devil. How are you today?

• JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    edited 13. Jul 2020, 09:55

Hello Helen

...or as my Da would have said "Hylo Helen a croeso".

Cymru am byth !

Arthur

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @HelenM lovely to meet you welcome to the forum.

Do tell us a bit more about yourself, your Arthritis for instance. Like many I have more than one type. The inflammatory as well as some Osteoarthritis too now.

I have been using this forum for many years now and found it a great support. I hope you will too.

• HelenM
    HelenM Member Posts: 3
    Hi all! Thanks for all your lovely comments. I have arthritis in my left knee (discovered after dislocating the knee 8 yrs ago) and need a knee replacement - although too young apparently 😂.
    I try to keep as active as possible - actually ran a 10k 2 yrs ago but that was before the pain became a lot worse. However, I have recently started the C25k app and seem to be coping.

Let you know how it goes 😊
  • YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi @HelenM

Welcome to the online community - it's lovely that you have chosen to join us.

Osteoarthritis in your knee is the problem following an accident. You are not alone in being told you are too young for a replacement - In my 40's I was told 'what do you expect at your age?' when asking for relief from OA in most joints and yet too young for any replacements.

Here is our information about OA of the knee just in case their are any little nuggets of new information for you,

and also the info on having a total knee replacement (TKR) ready for when you get that.

I asked the physio what exercises were done after the TKR because I knew for a good result you have to exercise almost immediately, and did those for both knees for about a year before my operation and it really helped afterwards with my recovery.

Keep posting - I bet there are a few people in a similar situation on the Living with Arthritis category who would benefit from a bit of support or advice from you

Take care

Yvonne x