Hello

Options
Carole6
Carole6 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

I am 74 and have been diagnosed with arthritis in my neck, shoulder blade and lower back. I find some days are much worse than others and have tried various remedies, without great success. I hope this forum will give me new ideas as to what does and does not work for others.

Comments

• JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    edited 13. Jul 2020, 15:10
    Options

Welcome.

It would be useful to know what remedies you have tried both with and without success ?

I find both CBD Oil and Acupuncture (traditional chinese method) useful. I also use a TENS machine on occasion and with some benefit.

I hope this is of interest.

Arthur

• MarzMac
    MarzMac Member Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi @Carole6 and welcome to our online community.
    Thank you for sharing with us and introducing yourself. You've said you have arthritis in your neck, lower back and shoulders, do you know what type of arthritis you have?
    You'll find tips and advice on our website for different kinds of arthritis, but we also have ideas for managing pain in different areas of the body. Do let us know what you've tried in the past. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/managing-symptoms/managing-your-pain/
    Everyone is different, but I'm sure more people will happily share what's worked for them. I hope you find some new remedies to try out. You'll also find details based on research on complementary treatments and practical therapies here. https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis/complementary-and-alternative-treatments/
    Please let us know how you get on, we're always learning new things here. Join in the general chat in some of our forums on the right.
    Best wishes
    MarzMac
  • Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119
    Options

Hi Carole6,

I won’t welcome you as I’m sure that like me, you would rather not be here. But here we both are, we are a similar age, I inject 15mg of Methotrexate and take 5mg of Folic Acid orally on a weekly basis. I take 800mg of Nurofen p/d off my own bat and wear a lower back support for my dog walks and heavier than normal gardening jobs. My blood pressure is high, I don’t eat large meals and not between them, I’ve cut out adding salt to food and am circa 10% over my recommended best weight.

I’m unsure of what functions that I find difficult to perform are down to my age or the R/A, I’ll hazard a guess that it’s a bit of both, however I am minded that many flu deaths are very likely included in the current pandemic fatality figures.

Keep smiling, that’s if it doesn’t hurt. 😉

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hi @Carole6 Nice to meet you.

I use all sorts of things to help with my pain from distraction ....TV an audiobook....to my prescribed pain relief to a warm wheatbag whcih can really help.

Often with my back/neck/shoulder blades (which I think in my case is muscular posture issue) I take my pain relief then sit with the weatbag on the sore spots (I have several wheaties) while they kick in.

In the past I have used a tens machine, but I wore the last one out!!

Also if my husband is feeling kind - some anti-inflm gel rubbed in to sore spots can help a lot.