Super-rich ask to pay more taxes

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

In my experience most (but not all) wealthy people didn't get where they are today by being generous. Expect some dissenters.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Forgive me for being sceptical but the rich can afford inventive Accountants to ensure that they pay the minimum amount of tax. There is nothing stopping the signatories of the letter, and all other of the super-rich, to donate some of their funds to their respective governments.

• Crookesey
    Crookesey Bots Posts: 119
    Options

Super tax only encouraged the mega wealthy to adopt a friendlier tax rate regime off shore. Our billionaire royal family would obviously be except from paying their fair share, so why should the guys who employ thousands be punished for being smart?

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options

Gosh that makes my megre 2million seems like nothing😁😁

I wish.......

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

Come on, guys! Credit where credit’s due.

These people are not wanting to be momentarily charitable: they’re wanting to be fair and just and redress the imbalance of the world’s wealth “Immediately. Substantially. Permanently”. “So please. Tax us,” it finishes. “Tax us. Tax us. It is the right choice. It is the only choice. Humanity is more important than our money.”

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Crookesey
    Options

Some far right wing folk that I’ve come across both socially and in business consider me to be left of Lenin. Conversely some who swing to the far left have categorised me as being right of Reagan. This is because I have a very wide range of views and opinions, I was and still am totally against the ‘Right to Buy’ programme on the basis of when it’s gone it’s gone for ever. However I am very sceptical of the mega wealthy asking to be taxed at a higher rate, why don’t those who wish to pay more use Gift Aid? They could then re-gift the marginal tax amount that they would receive.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Charitable donations can also be used as a tax right-off!

• Crookesey
    Options

The mega wealthy often select to be charitable after all other efforts to win a Knighthood or similar have failed. Honours have a habit of opening doors that have been tightly closed, and with their opening often comes even more wealth.