Knee replacement surgery - has it helped?

LesleySW
LesleySW Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

New on here and so many of your posts strike a chord. I have OA in my knees, hands, neck and newly diagnosed in my ankle. I am currently nearing the top of the list for my first knee replacement and would be interested to know how surgery has improv…

Comments

• YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076

Hi @LesleySW

Welcome to the online community, I'm glad you have chosen to join us as a member - it's a great place to support others and to get support for yourself too!

You are interested in others views of knee replacement surgery

I have persanal knowledge of a total knee replacement (TKR) as I had mine done 2-3 years ago. For me the experience was great, I was put in a short stay group, we had a lesson before the operation and got the exercises in advance, we were told it would be painful and to make sure we took the pain meds regularly rather than waiting and being in agony. I had my op at lunch time and when the consultant came round at 5pm he asked me to bend my knee and I did! Of course lots of meds both local and by mouth. the next day myself and the others in my ward - all knee or hip replacements were given meds, did exercises, worked out how to care for ourselves. The atmosphere was great, I live in a bungalow so didn't need to learn how to go up and down steps and went home on day 3, though I did have my husband at home to look after me. It did hurt but it was a different hurt, not the grinding, depressing pain of before to an I've been damaged but getting better kind of hurt.

I don't regret it for a minute, a huge difference to me - wish I'd had it done sooner

Here's the information from our website on TKR

I look forward to reading about how you get on, in the mean time see where you can post in Livivn with Arthritis and maybe in Chit-chat where non arthritis conversation is to be had

Take care

Yvonne x

• Hi Lesley,
    I’m almost 2yrs post tkr, and I’d say it has drastically changed my life for the better. I was very wary but wish I’d done it sooner (drs delayed as I was only just 40) Although like you I now suffer with my hands I am not on pain patches anymore and am able to excercise.
    Good luck xxx
  • Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 37

Hi I am 47 nearly 48 its good to know there are positive results I am really struggling with knee pain as account of cartilage damage and loss, I honestly think this is my next and only option, after trying key hole surgery and cortisone injections pus large amounts of pain killers, I know I am still relatively young but my life at the moment is very tough. it is only with the support of my wife and kids that I am coping.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

My sister had both her knees replaced before she was 60, she pushed herself through physio, and she has since continued teaching aerobics classes, running a garden business and even horse riding and fell walking. To be honest, she was so unstoppable she was still doing much of that before her operations but on huge handfuls of pain killers, but she can now do it and actually enjoy it!

• Chris

Thanks for the advice Liymary I too am very active and I am prepared to do the physio just hoping for a positive outcome.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 24. Jul 2020, 04:45

My baby sister is 58 with stage 4 OA in her knees, in constant pain, difficulty walking, wears a brace and has been told that, although she could do with them now, she cannot have knee replacements until she is 67. That's what happens when Cornwall only has one main hospital. (2/3rds of the patients admitted with the virus are from out of the County)

• Florence12
    Florence12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I hope you are having a good/better day today.
    I am 61, and am being considered for a knee replacement. Today I am feeling incredibly down, and wonder when this procedure will happen.
    The pain in my knee is constant, jarring and exhausting. It wakes me up, and standing/walking/getting up and downstairs is becoming increasingly difficult.
    I am pleased to read such positive comments about knee replacement - it gives me hope that things will get better.
    Thanks for reading my first post.
  • Al
    Al Member Posts: 169

Hi and welcome Florence,

It's great to meet you, you have come to the right place for information and conversation with others like you living one or more forms of arthritis

There are many here more than happy to share their experience as you share yours.

This link is for general information regarding any type of arthritis

About arthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/about-arthritis

Find out more about the different conditions, treatments and how to manage your symptoms.

if you have a specific question please post in the Living with Arthritis discussion or for general chat in the Chit Chat discussion. Just join in wherever you feel comfortable

Al

• MartyC
    MartyC Member Posts: 2

Hi everyone,

l am a new 70 years young member having arthritis in my knees for many years but my right knee has only just become very psinful in the last few weeks for some reason. l saw a consultant who said l needed a replacement having severe wear under the knee cap and in the joint. l havi been taking turmeric and omega 3 supplements for several years which seemed to help with the inflammation but the wear has gone too far now. l have played bowls for many years and now find it difficult to walk down stairs which is annoying as l lead an active life. Looking forward to getting the op. over with and getting back to normal. l appreciate it will be along haul, about a year l am told, but it has to be better that my present situation.

Marty C

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 7. Aug 2020, 10:17

Greetings @MartyC.

You are facing the delight of knee replacement surgery to give you back your active life style.

If you have not already seen it, there is a link to knee replacement information at the top of this discussion.

Also this may help:

https://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/patient-information-leaflets/Physiotherapy%20Knee%20Total%20knee%20replacement

Good luck with the op, and do let us know how you get on.

TomK

• mads
    mads Member Posts: 7
    hello lesley i had a full knee replacement in january and it is great. That unrelenting pain disappeared and recovery was really speedy. i had abot 5 weeks with no crutches snd then the other knee completely went. Good luck with your surgery.
  • TeaBag
    TeaBag Member Posts: 101

For me yes it helped I had mine done 2018 at age 46 I need my other done but have put it off for a while

it is tough at the start but it does get easier and better with time.

• Chris

Wow 46 i am 47 and have been told i need a partial knee replacement this will probably be in 2021 now i have no cartilage left on the inside of my right knee, the pain is terrible i honestly can't wait for my op. its ffrustrating as the rest of my knee is ok.

• Hi

I was 36 when I had my tkr 8yrs later still going strong yes I would recommend i do still have a few twinges at times but all in all best thing I done. Only advise is start to exercise both legs now as this really helps with recovery ......... Even though it's painful !!!!!!!!