Returning to the office

My operation was cancelled due to Covid. I need a hip replacement. My walking has really deteriorated and I am on crutches. Now the government have said they will be encouraging people to return to offices. I don’t know how I can cope. I can’t sit in an office chair for more than around 30 minutes. I haven’t managed to get past the driveway for weeks. We only get paid 2 months sick pay and they try to get rid of anyone on sick for longer. Does anyone have any suggestions at all?

Comments

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Would you be able to review your medication with your GP?

Are you able to park near the office, or do you use public transport. I'm thinking maybe your office can facilitate a parking space as close as possible so you don't have too far to walk.

Would investing in some very soft cushions help you sit for longer? Otherwise, can you get up and move around for a few minutes when the pain gets too much?

Presumably your office know about your condition. It's in their interests to try to keep you on, rather than training someone else up, so perhaps there are small tweaks they can make to make things easier for you.

I sympathise, I'm on the list for a new hip and sitting at the computer is getting more and more uncomfortable. Luckily I can work from home quite a bit, so I rarely have to go into the office now. The walk to and from the car park would really set things off.

• AlanM
    AlanM Member Posts: 46

Hi @Elisa

welcome to the forum, it's great to see you here.

Having had your hip replacement surgery cancelled due to the pandemic, you're mobility has deteriorated and you are now very worried about a possible return to work.

At Versus Arthritis, we are seeing a lot of worry being expressed by people about their safety and rights in returning to work. Our website has a new section which answers a range of questions, including 'What are my rights if I don’t feel it is safe for me to go back to work?'. If you click on the link and scroll through the content, you will find the relevant section.

I would also encourage you to talk to someone on our Helpline team - call 0800 5200 520, Mon-Fri, 9am-8pm (calls are free). They can talk through your circumstances, worries and solutions.

Lastly, we have just launched a new campaign called 'Impossible to Ignore' which highlights the problems of not having access to joint replacement surgery and why this should be a priority for government. Please have a look and, if you're onboard with the message, sign the petition.

Good luck and look forward to seeing you on the forum.

Best wishes

Alan

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Elisa have you been on to your hospital to see when they will be restarting surgeries?

Your employer has a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' so you might be able to aks for your seating/work station to be looked at to make life more comfortable for you?

Do let us know how you get on ((()))

• Elisa
    Elisa Member Posts: 3
    Yes, the doctor put me on the list at a private hospital but under NHS as all urgent referrals were being done that way, to stop people on the NHS hospital list who have waited a long time from being queue jumped. The private hospital has now been taken over completely by the NHS for emergencies and cancer treatments and they still don’t know when the normal services will be resumed. My employer has now put me in touch with access to work as there is no parking available as it is city centre. They will apparently pay for a taxi. Also getting Occupational Health in so it might be okay. I will let you know.
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

That sounds promising, that your employer is trying to help you out. Keep us posted, for successes or moans. I hope things improve for you soon and that the return to work isn't too traumatic

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

It's really good to see that your employer is helping.