Both wrists fused

Hi all,
I got the call yesterday with a date for surgery. I have a week to hand over my job. Shield for 2 weeks then surgery. I’m terrified. I had my left wrist fused in 2015 - it needs further surgery. But in less than 3 weeks I am having my right wrist fused.
I tried to find someone before with both wrists fused but I struggled.
I’m a young mum with 2 children, my job is very hand based (pharmacy), but having arthritis since a baby has damaged my wrists severely.

I know what the surgery is like, I also know I’m complicated as I’m so small. But I’m terrified of surgery, of the recovery and of how my life will change with both wrists fused.

Anyone out there with both wrists fused?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi @Charw

Gosh girl you have a tough time ahead of you with double wrist surgery and two children. I very much hope they are old enough to help themselves a little? and/that you have a supportive partner.

I have not had this surgery myself, but did have major back surgery when i was a single parent with two young girls. THEY helped ME! bless them.

I remember one member on here having had a double carpal tunnel op and she didn't have children to worry about just a husband!

Not sure how you can let us know, but I would love to hear how you get on.

Take care

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Sorry this will have to be brief as I'm very short on time.

My wrists are both fused but it was a DIY job over time. I can't remember what it was like to have non-fused wrists other than ****** painful. Mine were fusing themselves when my sons were little. I don't miss the movement. We arthritics are an inventive lot and we find ways round things. I have done and I hope you will.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Charw
    Charw Member Posts: 12
    @frogmorton and @stickywicket Thank you both for your replies.
    The children are 5 & 9 so old enough to at least dress themselves! Last time my youngest was 6 months old - that was a while other ball game!
    I’m hoping there will be no major complications and I’ll be able to start rebuilding and relearning with my wrist in a new position!
    @stickywicket my wrists were/are just crumbling and deforming (left one even after fusion op) with very little to no movement anyway! So the operation just speeds up the process and gets rid of the pain quicker!
    On the plus side I’m going to be symmetrical with matching scars 🤣🙈
    I’ll try and keep you posted after the op x
  • Charw
    Charw Member Posts: 12

Hi both @frogmorton and @stickywicket

how are you both?

juat thought I’d give you a little update after your lovely messages a few weeks ago. I had my surgery a couple of weeks ago. It went well by all accounts, although swelling has been hideous. I ended up in a&e where they cut the cast. I saw physio this week to have dressings removed and a new cast and to start intense physio. I have exercises to do hourly! I can’t use my right hand at all apart from to do physio!

the children have been fab, helping me dress and lots more.

ive been recording videos and taking lots of videos with the aim of putting a vlog together of the whole journey.

x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Well Hello 👋 to you @Charw !

So lovely to hear how you are doing. Sounds as though very very well indeed 🙂

Your children are a similar age to the age mine were when I had my back op. Mine were 5 and 8 and they helped me dress too and in the shower bless them.

A Vlog is a great idea is there space for your video/vlog on here anywhere I wonder? Mods??? is this possible? How great would it be for future people to be able to see what will happen to them. Minus the swelling I hope!!!

Do keep in touch and take care

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460

Hi @Charw

fingers crossed that your recovery will continue to go well. Both my wrists fused themselves bebore my daughter was born. I guess it didn't really occur to me as a problem I just adapted as I wen t along. I did struggle with lifting her in the early days but now I have found solutions to most things. It would be great to see your vlog

Best Wishes

Sharon