Hair Dye

Having been really fed up and feeling 'invisible' as a shielded person, I decided that I would have my hair dyed bright red when shielding finishes next week (in England)

I spoke to my local hairdresser and when I mentioned my hair is a bit thin and weak because of medications, she concluded that I would need a letter from my doctor before they would do any hair dye!

The thinking behind this was that if the medication is having an effect on my hair, then the dye (even if it is organic) may damage it further.

The way I'm feeling, I don't care if all my hair falls out! I just want to brighten things up a bit.

Anyone else had issues with hair dye? I'm on Methotrexate and Biologic Injection

😀

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Surprisingly (Well, it surprised ME) prolonged use of hair dye can be a precipitating factor for RA. Just Google 'DMARDS and hair dye'. Personally, I'd give it a miss but I do admire your hairdresser's caution as that sounds like someone who knows her trade well.

I, too, am shielding and have allowed Mr SW to hack at my locks. It ain't pretty but at least I still have two earseparate which surprises me a little.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 22. Jul 2020, 20:19

I got my ears pierced again in Jan (I now have 3 in each lobe) to celebrate having survived 60 years. I got the second ones done when I turned 40. Jewellers wouldn’t do it as they say third lobe piercings don’t always heal well, so I abandoned my dignity and went to “a well known chain retailer of very cheap jewellery for 12 year olds”, found an assistant who has the same piercings and she said my ears were big enough for 3, she sat me down in the shop window on a busy street and got the gun out! I can’t tell you how much it cheered me up (but I’d forgotten how much it hurt! 😅) and if I’m feeling rubbish in the mornings I motivate myself with the thought of choosing today’s ear ring combo. So if you can’t do scarlet hair (which sounds fabulous!), maybe a piercing? Hopefully PsA doesn’t rule it out?

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

I have dyed my hair for the last 30 years I think and still do. That research referred to also indicates marital squabbles a predisposing factor for RA! Maybe not so easily avoided!!

Not sure i can see your Dr happily providing a letter for hair dye can you?!

@Struddie let us know what you decide to do!

• Lilymary

i’ve Been a bottle brunette for at least 25 years. My mother stopped dying her hair when she was 88!

• frogmorton

Go you Lilymary!

🙂👍️

• AmyAcorn
    AmyAcorn Member Posts: 29
    Hi Struddie, if you have blonde hair you might be able to buy a semi permanent bright red hair dye and put that on yourself (or get a friend to do it if that's easier)? Semi permanent is much less harsh on the hair and often the super bright colours actually leave your hair in really good condition. You can put these colours on darker hair too but they'll come out much better the lighter your hair is. I've had pink, blue, silver, lavender, the list goes on, hair in the past and it did always give me a boost when I had a new colour
    Xx
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 23. Jul 2020, 09:31

Not being rude but have you thought about a coloured wig? There are loads of types out there, multi-coloured, shapes and all sorts. Of course if you do not fancy wearing a wig there are other options too:

Not too sure about the Elvis sideburns though!

• KazandNoo
    KazandNoo Member Posts: 129
    I've been having my hair dyed for longer than I care to remember (or tell!) so when lockdown hit I thought oh no,what am I going to do?? I didn't dare cut it so it went a bit wild but I did pluck up courage to dye it. Semi permanent only tho,as Amyacorn says less damaging to the hair. I roped in the husband to help apply it,he wasn't keen in case it all went wrong but it was a great success!! Dark red 👩‍🦰😊👍
  • Lilymary

I’ve been using a permanent dye for years (the type that is, apparently “worth it”), plus generous use of conditioners with each wash, and have never had problems with dry or thin hair, but I guess there are many different types of hair, and not everyone is the same.

• Struddie
    Struddie Member Posts: 6

Thanks everyone. Yes @stickywicket I admire my hairdresser for being over cautious. And No @frogmorton I can't see Dr giving out letters for hair dye - nor would I want to bother them with such a trivial thing in the middle of a global pandemic.

I like the ideas of a semi-permanant dye - has to be better than wearing a cat on my head 😂

I'll explore with assistance of my daughter and let you all know

Thanks x

• frogmorton

Let us know what you decide to do @Struddie 🙂

Or better still post us a pic......maybe don't get Mike1's wig though I thing it might require a tad too much attention!!