Redundancy Pool

I am 64. My employer has made reasonable allowances at work due to my OA for the past 6 months, meaning that I could not perform all of my duties. However I have excelled in remaining duties and even been commended during lockdown. Suddenly my reasonable allowances have been questioned and because of this I emailed the boss to request a referral to OH after my gp recommendation. Days later I have been included in a redundancy pool. Yet due to my excelling in my role I have also been asked to adjust my shift times to cover more work? I find it odd that I’m in a redundancy pool 4 days after asking for an OH referral? I just don’t know what to do.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Good morning @Soph4496

Welcome to the Versus Arthritis online Community.

It sounds as though all of this has come as a big shock to you . Firstly the removal of your reasonable adjustments and now your name being in the redundancy pool. Particularly after being commended and also asked to do extra hours.

It might help our members understand your situation better if you indicated the field in which you work - obviously not the company or anything confidential. Is it a large or small company and are you a member of a union?

I'm sure you know being in the pool doesn't mean you will be made redundant. I very much hope this is not the case for you if you wish to continue working.

I'm sure someone will be along to chat to you soon in the meantime I am attaching a link about work and Arthritis. There is a section about finances if it's of interest to you:

Very best of luck and do please let us know how you get on.

Ellen.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

It’s against the law for employers to discriminate against you because of a disability. The Equality Act 2010 protects you and covers redundancy. You can’t be chosen for redundancy  just because you’re disabled. The selection process for redundancy must be fair and balanced for all employees. If you’ve been made redundant because of coronavirus (COVID-19), your employer might be able to re-employ you and pay 80% of your wages. You must be selected for redundancy in a fair way, for example because of your level of experience or capability to do the job. You cannot be selected because of age, gender, or if you’re disabled or pregnant. If you are, this could be classed as an unfair dismissal. Check out https://www.gov.uk/redundancy-your-rights/being-selected-for-redundancy to find out more about redundancy and if you need help contact the CAB or your Union if you are in one. Good Luck.

• Soph4496
    Soph4496 Member Posts: 3

Thanks to Ellen and Mike

i process bank cheques for an outsourcing company. It is a multinational US based firm. I am in uk. I have OA and due to the pinching movement between thumbs and forefingers there are certain tasks I struggle with, but I am very good at the main role. The boss has said even though I am exceeding in this role I am not covering the same amount and frequency in other roles compared to my peers.

• KazandNoo
    KazandNoo Member Posts: 129
    That's shocking behaviour from your employers definitely get some legal advice.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Soph4496 nothing useful to say from me other that that I hope your name isn't chosen from the redundancy pool and agree with the others take some advice. ACAS used to be good🤔

Sending ((()))