Low white blood cell count taking Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine.

I am Samantha and new to here. Diagnosed almost a year ago with RA. Started taking Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine. Was doing brilliantly on these, and the RA nurse said I was quickly in remission. However, what spookily seems to be coinciding with all the Covid shenanigans, I started getting low white blood Cell count, when I had routine bloods done. Not ideal under these circumstances and my GP was getting very fidgety. Nurse took me off just the Methotrexate for two weeks, and I got all My pain back, and still the cell count was below normal parameters. She put me back on them in a lower dose, but still a low reading. What shocked me was that she then started talking about this being my new normal. I am very nervous about this, and surely low blood cell count is leaving me vulnerable to Covid? Should I be content with this being the new status quo or not? Annoyingly the lower dose is not getting rid of the stubborn pain in my right foot, but I am Anxious about going in a higher dose again. I’m so confused and worried!

Normal count is 4 and I went down to 3.5, 3.6 and now stuck at 3.9.

Anyone else had this issue? And if so, what action was taken etc and the outcomes.

thanks Sam 😊

Comments

• DebbieM
    DebbieM Member Posts: 33
    edited 30. Jul 2020, 15:53

Hi @Pognose

You're very welcome to the Versus Arthritis Online Community - we are glad you've joined us!

You were diagnosed last year with Rheumatoid Arthritis and seem to have been experiencing challenges in balancing medication with white blood cell count and having consequent worries about COVID.

We have information here on our website about COVID which you might find useful in managing fears:

We also have lots of information on methotrexate here:

You might also find it useful to contact our helpline for more information - freephone 0800 5200 520 open Monday - Friday (exc bank holidays) 9am-8.30pm. You can also navigate to chat to our helpline team on here within the "Forums" section.

I'm sure another community member will also be along soon with their experience of taking these medications.

Please let us know how you get on.

Best Wishes

Debbie

• Pognose
    Pognose Member Posts: 3

Thank you Debbie for signposting etc 👍