Seronegative inflammatory arthritis

Options

Hello,

I was diagnosed about 9 months ago with seronegative inflammatory arthritis and it took almost 18 months to get to that diagnosis. First of all starting in my ankle, which got better with no treatment, then my foot, then my index finger and now my thumb.

After 9 months of treatment with Sulfasalazine I'm able to stop my NSAID, but still have pain and discomfort in my hands (mostly my finger and thumb). I'm stressing all the time about remission and wondered if there was anyone else out there with seronegative arthritis who could share there experience?

Am I expecting too much from my treatment? Is 9 months long enough? Is remission likely?

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 974
    Options

Hello @zwirek and welcome to the online community.

it sounds like you’ve been living with pain and discomfort from seronegative arthritis for quite some time and it’s understandable that you wonder when it’s going to settle down. I’m sure our members who have had similar experiences will write to reassure you that there will be better days ahead and ways to help deal with the bad days.

You might find it helpful to read the story below about Melissa, who was recently diagnosed with seronegative inflammatory arthritis. Like you, it took a while before the right medications were found for her.

Chatting to people who know what you’re going through can really help, so do take a look through the forum and join in whenever you feel like it.

Keep us posted about how you’re getting on,

Anna : )

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• lisasmiz10
    lisasmiz10 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi @zwirek I’m a 43 years old women and I was diagnosed With seronegative inflammatory arthritis in November 2019. I had been experiencing random joint pain in my toes, fingers, elbows and the heels of my hands for a year before diagnosis. Getting up in the mornings was torture. By the time I saw a rheumatologist, I was struggling to walk due to severe inflammation in my Achilles’ tendons. I could barely bend my knees. I found opening doors, tubes of toothpaste and lifting anything heavy very difficult due to finger and wrist pain. The rheumatologist was quite shocked at how inflamed my heels were after using an ultrasound machine, and gave me a steroid injection in my buttock, there and then at my appointment. It was like a miracle...within hours I was already feeling better. I also started on a regime of Methotrexate, Sulfasalazine and Hydroxychloroquine. With two further steroid injections, each one month apart. I feel very lucky as I have responded well to my course of treatment. I have been pain free until April, when I seemed to develop one sore finger joint, which looks like it is slightly deformed. I am hopeful that I keep responding well and stay in remission.

I hope you find some comfort from my post, and find a treatment plan that works for you.