Introducing Arthr and the ChangeMakers

Options
Brynmor
Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
edited 7. Feb 2023, 09:48 in News Archive

Millions of people living with arthritis know how the condition can cause pain and fatigue which can make everyday tasks difficult.

Arthr, a new social venture powered by Versus Arthritis, is developing new products for and with people with arthritis to make daily life easier.

Researchers spoke to several hundred people living with arthritis and heard common themes in the everyday challenges people were facing. These included daily activities like getting dressed, getting washed and cooking. The list was extensive.

They also found that many existing products on the market to help with these everyday tasks just weren’t good enough. Some were not functional, and the design was often old-fashioned and medical.

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Signed up and sent a suggestion in.

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    edited 12. Aug 2020, 11:19
    Options

Launching Arthr's change making community

By joining the ChangeMaker community, you’ll be part of a network of passionate, like-minded people who want to contribute the solutions to everyday challenges. Sign up now.

You’ll have a chance to take part in research, test products in development, and co-create new product ideas. With your help, Arthr can make more and better products to help more people live well with arthritis.

Arthr a new social venture powered by Versus Arthritis, is developing new products for and with people with arthritis to make daily life easier.

People are at the heart of everything Arthr does, and those with arthritis are involved every step of way, from concept development to testing products. And you can be a part of this journey too.

• Mike1
    Options

I sent this idea in which I have been using for a while: https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/50318/putting-a-coat-on#latest

Nice reply back:

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for sending this idea through - it is really useful and definitely something we are discussing looking into.

I have forwarded this over to the product team.

Thank you,

Ellen 

• Sharon_K
    Sharon_K Member Posts: 460
    Options

Hi Mike

this is brilliant, wonderful to see the community putting in ideas, thank you so much

Best Wishes

Sharon

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    Options

Has anyone got any tips for putting socks on? I really struggle with this, as I can't reach my left foot any more without awful pain.

• Mike1
    Options

I use a sock helper, there are many types available just Google "sock helper for the disabled", they are all around the £10 mark.

• Lilymary
    Options

Thanks Mike, I knew someone would have come up with something. Presumably a long handled shoe horn will eliminate the shoe acrobatics?

• Mike1
    edited 18. Aug 2020, 04:17
    Options

Yep, a long handled shoe horn is a must for putting shoes on, I only wear slip-on boots as I cannot do laces up.

Don't forget that if you are having problems you can contact Adult Social Care at your Council and they will send out an Occupational Therapist who can assess your needs and suggest items of equipment to help. They may even be able to provide things free of charge; they gave me a recliner, perch stool for the kitchen, sorted out a wet room, put up hand rails and so forth. They verbally recommended monkey bars for over the bed but could not provide them as apparently they are a safety risk (I disputed that as I am a Professionally qualified H&S Practitioner, at least I was till I had to give up work), anyway I bought one myself and it helps getting in and out of bed.

• Lilymary
    Options

Honestly, putting shoes and socks on right foot, no problem. Leg very obligingly flings itself into any position I ask of it. Left foot? Pffft. "You ain't getting anywhere near me mate. Go on Hip, you tell 'er".

So I'm going to tie a loop through the zip on my boots so I can pull it up with a crochet hook, and laces and buckles I leave loose enough that I can just slide my foot in and out and hope they don't fall off, but the shoe horn will be my secret weapon for recalcitrant shoes!

• Mike1
    edited 19. Aug 2020, 06:02
    Options

Lilymary, you can get elastic laces for your shoes and boots, then you can leave them done up and use the long shoe horn to slide your feet in. They are cheap, just Google them.