Sulfasalazine and Pregnancy

Hi I’ve been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis for about three years. Me and my partner now have decided to try for a baby, my doctor has suggested that I stay on my sulphasalazine as I am prone to flareups if I miss a dose. Me and my husband are in agreement that I should take the medication, but we are still concerned about the theoretical risks but my doctor reassures us that the benefits taking the sulfasalazine out way the risks. My mother-in-law has said if I take any medication during my pregnancy, she will disown us as we will be putting the baby at potential harm. Does anyone have any advice? How were your pregnancy outcomes if you took sulfasalazine or stopped taking it?

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Lolly_loo and welcome to the Online Community

Having psoriatic arthritis and also having consulted your doctor, it sounds as though you are pretty well informed of any issues surrounding sulfasalazine and pregnancy. We have a great page on this drug which includes some useful information on pregnancy for those planning a family:

I look forward to reading any personal advice from our members who have direct experience of taking sulfasalazine during pregnancy.

Do join in across the discussions, asking questions and giving support and do call in to chat and let us know how you are getting on.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I had both my pregnancies well into my years of RA but pre modern DMARDS. They are finding out more and more now about drugs and pregnancy and, frankly, if I were to do it all again, I'd be guided by the research. No way would I have put my babies at risk (They are both now in their 40s, healthy and with kids of their own) but I flared horribly after each birth and all through the second pregnancy.

I can understand, and empathise, with where your mother-in-law is coming from but this is blackmail and blackmail is ugly. As a mother-in-law myself I would never dream of interfering in either of my son's' marriages. I hope she will not drive a wedge between you and your husband.

Take all the medical advice you can get, talk it àll over with tour husband and ignore his mother.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright