Osteoarthritis

Den16
Den16 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hi. I'm new to this forum. My name is Denise. I'm 66. Active lady. I've got osteoarthritis in my knee, shoulder and now hands. I've managed w. My knee with excercise,and my shoulder learning to live with it. BUT it's my hands that are causing me the most worry. I've got trigger finger, in my little finger, and aching hands, now other hand seems to ache. I splint the trigger finger at night. I'm thinking of supplements? Haven't been to the doctors, ? About a months wait for a telephone call? Any help with supplements? Any advice would be great. Thank you.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @Den16 (Denise) and welcome to the Versus Arthritis forum.

So you have osteoarthritis in you knee, shoulder and hands, but it’s your hands that are causing you particular concern. You are considering supplements and are waiting for a doctor’s consultation.

If you haven’t already visited it, the main Versus Arthritis website has a plethora of information about OA, supplements, exercises, etc:

https://www.versusarthritis.org/search?query=Oesteoarthritis

https://www.versusarthritis.org/search?query=Oesteoarthritis+supplements

I’m sure that other forum members who have similar conditions will be able to share their experiences and offer you some tips as regards supplements.

You may also wish to call our free Helpline on 0800 5200 520, or email helpline@versusarthritis.org (Mon - Fri 9:00am – 8:00pm) if you ever feel they could be of help.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Hi Denise, I have widespread OA including my hands but regrettably I have never found a supplement (or alternative therapy for that matter) that works, perhaps someone else may have an idea or three.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

Hi Denise, I'm an active 61 and I have OA in my hips and probably lurking elsewhere waiting to appear with a fanfare. I haven't heard anyone mention supplements with any degree of success. Some have found turmeric helpful, but I checked and I can't take it alongside my current prescription meds, so not an option for me. From what I can tell my prescription meds do the same job, so no need to change.

I'd suggest you persevere with your GP for a review of pain relief, but meanwhile see if you can find a private physio who can review exercises and possibly offer some treatments to reduce pain and swelling. I've found they're not that expensive in the scheme of things (mine's about £38 per session, I go as and when needed, usually when something new shows its head).

I know the NHS has had a tough time lately, but having to wait a month for an appointment is a joke. When I was young they could usually see you the same day. But I've found telephone appointments helpful lately, and usually quicker. This may be a way to get a referral to a pain clinic or an NHS physio, although in my experience there's a long waiting list for their physios and only a limited number of visits allowed, hence going private.