24 with arthritis.

I’m 24 year old. I have arthritis and fibromyalgia.
I get a lot of pain in my
Ankle and feet at night. Can’t cope

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791

Hi Hayley

Welcome to the Arthritis Community, Sorry you are suffering with pain at the moment and feel you can't cope,we understand what you are going through as everyone here has a form of arthritis and goes through various levels of pain. If you wish to talk with a person we have a helpline you can contact on 0800 5200 520. They would be most willingly give you advice and help. Our forums are full of people with story's to tell and practical advice to give,the most popular forums are Living with Arthritis and Chit Chat and Vals cafe.

Hope all goes well for you Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• HayleyL95
    HayleyL95 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you. I hate being in this much pain
  • Blossom
    Blossom Member Posts: 8

Hello Hayley,

I'm Cherie, I am new to this site as of today and also new to OA of the hips, few months now. I was and still do struggle mentally but coming on this site, just for one day so far is helping me. I also have pain and at times feel just like you, if you want to chat go for it, I will get back to you.

Take care.

• Field79
    Field79 Member Posts: 5

Hi Hayley I too am new to the group and also struggling with the pain only just diagnosed and not on any medication yet due to corona.

I have been feeling really down the pain is constant and nothing seems to help it feels like I am going crazy. I totally feel how you are and I’ve been reading posts on here today and it’s made me feel so much better. That I am not going crazy not being over dramatic everything I’ve read so far I am like yes that’s me I hope you find a way to cope we are all in this together ❤️

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 29. Aug 2020, 11:26

Hi Hayley, while I post on here a lot, I’m a relative newbie to this site and was only recently diagnosed with osteo arthritis in my hips, (the pain came on really suddenly after general niggles for a few years). I’m currently waiting for a new one. This site has been a lifeline for me, and has really helped me come to terms with dealing with the pain and how it has affected my lifestyle. The info on the site is really useful, and the hints and tips from other forum members have also been a real support.

i’m sorry to hear you’re finding it so hard right now. Have you spoken to your GP lately? it might be worth reviewing your medications or asking for a referral to a pain clinic. A few other tips that have worked for me is using distraction to take your focus away from pain, find something to do that really absorbs your attention and that you really enjoy (a bit of light gardening works for me, or curling up with a box of Chocs and a box set), and you’ll tend to take you away from the pain. Hot baths, heated wheat bags/hot water bottles, cold compresses, are helpful. Gentle exercise will also help your body cope, even if it’s just stretching exercises if you can’t manage muscle toning right now (see the exercise sheets on this site, all very gentle stuff but helpful).

Try to find a way to lift your mood a little, feeling depressed can make the pain feel worse as you tend to be inward focussed when depressed. If you are clinically depressed, you need to see your GP to find a way to help you through this. It’s a bit of a vicious cycle if it’s the pain that’s making you depressed, and the depression makes the pain feel worse and stops you feeling you can do anything about it. But every tiny change you feel you can make will help, even if you sometimes go backwards again. Don’t worry, that’s normal, allow yourself to fail occasionally. Meditation and mindfulness can be really helpful both in depression and in managing pain. Many GPs recommend it now, and it’s been proven to help depression and anxiety. Even learning some basic relaxation techniques, rather than the full transcendental experience, can help. I’ve also found it helps if a sudden burst of pain arrives from nowhere, I relax, acknowledge the pain but try not to feel anxious about it, and let it flow away. I’m never completely without pain, even with all the meds I’m on, but I find this helps on bad days.

But most of all, be kind to yourself, your body needs you to nurse it right now. It’s ok to feel rubbish, it’s ok to ask for help, it’s ok to say no if you’re really not up to it. Enlist emotional or practical support from friends and family. It may be difficult for them to fully understand how you feel, but it will certainly help.