Hello, osteoarthritis in my right knee

Steve065
Steve065 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:05 in Living with arthritis

Hello I have been suffering from osteoarthritis in my right knee for quite a few years. Had surgery done back in 2014 where I had some cartilage removed, some bone removed and cleaned out. But lately the pain has just got worse and worse where I am unable to put much weight on on the leg. Spoke to the doctors today and they have referred me to the Clinical assessment and treatment services and they received it 7 days ago. Still not heard back from them and just wondering how long I should wait. Also been proscribed Tramadol for the pain and ibuprofen gel.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

How long is a piece of string, Steve? Alas, it all depends on your local Primary Care Trust and how they're coping with Covid. I'd certainly give it another couple of weeks. Unfortunately, our priorities and theirs don't always coincide.I hope the trammies and gel help in the meantime.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • I too deal with OA in right knee and all worse since hip replacement 10 yrs ago. I do lots of stuff and use a walker, I'm 82.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Hi @Steve065

Personally I tend to contact the secretary once i know who the consultant is and know they have my referral. I offer to take a cancellation at short notice appointment. This has speeded things up for me on many occasions.

That's if you can make an apt at short notice of course?

• OP: I had an infection in my right knee from an injection in the knee...bottom line docs at hospital/rehabs did NOT find the infection for 2.5 months and I did NOT walk in those months, very very fearful time. When they finally did an MRI on knee the infection was seen, abx drip for 2.5 months and then a clean out of the knee....I believe the clean out was something that should NOT have been done. When the docs do this they take out good stuff in our knees as well. My knee is a mess. I will NOT have a surgery again if I can say NO.

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

What an awful experience you’ve been through @jaminhealth. I hope your pain has lessened now and you’ve got some mobility back. Unfortunately knees can be tricky, although I know several friends who’ve had knee replacements and cartilage removal who are really pleased with their recovery. I would echo what @frogmorton said, @Steve065, and perhaps try contacting the department concerned just to see if they can do anything To move you forward - it’s always worth a try.

Anna : )

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Once surgery is done, there is no turning back...the outcomes are left for the patient to live and deal with. We are all in the assembly lines of joint replacements and surgeries. The folks of my parents generations had none of these surgeries and yes used walkers, canes, limped etc etc and today's generation has all these devices and have been thru surgeries....I've been alive long enough to know all this.

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Hi @Steve065

I'm glad you have been referred to Clinical assessment, the last step in your journey I hope before you get a consultant.

I have had osteoarthritis in my knee, I'm one of those with multiple joints affected, but my knee was the worst. I had a long wait because I was young but having my knee replaced was brilliant. It's a big op, you are in severe pain, you have to move the joint the same day and keep doing exercises for a long time, well, I still do mine 2 years on. I've talked to lots of people in the waiting room and all bar two were successful.

@jaminhealth - I wonder if you struggle with your knee because it had got used to your gait and took the strain off your hip so when your hip was realigned it can't cope. I'm glad you are managing to cope in spite of the difficulties in your care.

Take care

Wazz x

• The hip replacement knocked the body so off, it's a major surgery and huge change to our natural bones, muscles etc.....one does not know until it is over and done.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740
    edited 2. Sep 2020, 21:27

@jaminhealth , I’m sorry to hear your experience of surgery has been so negative for you, and can understand why you feel such major surgery should be approached with caution, and with due consideration given to non-surgical treatments.

But I know many who have had hip or knee replacement and have never looked back, including my sister who had both knees replaced and is still teaching aerobics, and was quickly back fell walking and horse riding, without her former reliance on strong pain killers. This has not made her immune to other health conditions, to which she has always been prone, but having both knees replaced gave her a new lease of life and she would not have had it any other way. Another friend has had to have corrective surgery after her hip replacement, but still feels strongly that for her surgery was the right decisio

• Well, it's a crap shoot...I did NOT use a walker before mine at 72 and use one now for about 4 yrs or so.

Two ladies I know, both had 2 hips done, used walkers before, and use them more than ever. Walk a tad but not much without their walkers...one is in her 70's and one is early 90's and me at 82.....

Could be too, the amount of overall OA one has in their bodies.

I'm 82, tip top immune system, no cold or flu etc in over 25 yrs, due to supplements I take, but this OA mess.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,740

@jaminhealth It is that. I do know a few people for whom it hasn't worked, either due to other underlying health conditions, post-op complications or probable errors in surgery. But most people I know who've had it have had positive experiences.