Medical cannabis oil treatment for pain

Countrywoman
Countrywoman Member Posts: 2
edited 14. Sep 2020, 11:17 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone - just wondered if anyone has tried this treatment? There are clinics now who say they can prescribe cannabis oils that are regulated and may offer pain relief and help with low mood. I wondered if anyone has lived experience of this? I've asked for clinical trials and this clinic says it's regulated by CQC - I've been diagnosed with needing bilateral hip and knee replacements but waiting years now .....

Comments

• Aj_x
    Aj_x Member Posts: 206
    edited 11. Sep 2020, 13:32

Hi Countrywoman, welcome to the Online Community.

This is a subject that crops up on our discussion boards from time to time and you may like to use the search facility to discover past conversations.

Research in cannabinoids over the years suggests that they can be effective in treating certain types of chronic pain such as pain from nerve injury, but there is currently not enough evidence to support using cannabinoids in reducing musculoskeletal pain.

We have an informative page on our web site concerning complementary treatments:

If you’re considering using CBD to manage the pain of your arthritis, it’s important to remember it cannot replace your current medicines, and it may interact with them, so please do not stop/start taking anything without speaking to a healthcare professional.

Do join in across the discussions, ask questions, give support and call in to let us know how you are getting on - you will be most welcome.

AJ_x

• JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    edited 14. Sep 2020, 11:15

I take CBD oil daily and find it useful. I have been taking it for several years. [xxx] text deleted

Arthur

For reason for deleted text please see below YvonneH Admin

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Countrywoman

Lovely to meet you.

Why have you been waiting 'years' for your surgeries that's awful!

Have you seen this?

Might be time for you to hassle your Drs.... ((()))

• JoeB
    JoeB Bots Posts: 83
    edited 14. Sep 2020, 11:14

I did not mention in my comment above that cannabis oils are legally available without prescription. If you want oil with a THC component (the psychoactive bit) then you will need both a 'script and someone licensed by the Home Office to prescribe such mind expanding delights. If you just want relief from the pain of most conditions CBD oil is a good and perfectly legal starting point.

[xxx] text deleted

Arthur

Text deleted - it is not appropriate for any member to suggest where to get any sort of medication from, it is up to members, in conjunction with their health team to do this

YvonneH Admin

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

I gave CBD oil a good try, both orally and vaped, for over 3 months and had no positive effect from it whatsoever. I bought a good quality oil which was not cheap after a discussion with the supplier. Whilst there is no medical evidence that CBD oil helps OA as with everything else everyone is different and what does not work for one person may work for another. I also signed up for a Medical Cannabis trial (Project 21) but, living in Cornwall, there is no participating clinic down here and I could not afford the cost anyway as the trial is not free. As for asking my GP to refer me to a Consultant who can prescribe it - not a chance so it is increasing amounts of Morphine for me!

• From the U.S. I have tried both tincture oil CBD and ointment CBD and didn't get enough relief for the money it cost. I use many other OTC topicals and oils for my lower back, knees, feet and shoulders. I manage best with these and I'm forever trying new products....even a great homeopathic lotion I use.....I don't believe I can name it, correct? I believe homeopathics are wonderful -- I use several.

• antuneleta
    antuneleta Member Posts: 9
    edited 16. Sep 2020, 08:52

I was taking CBD. I was not feeling pain and I was calm, dealing peacefully with the RA. I have started methotrexate last week and I stopped CBD as I do not have info about interactions and do not know who to ask this. I had to find the dosage during the last month. I did it by slowly increasing the dosage week by week. I was using pure CBD oil bought in holland and barrets, no psychoactive elements.

Well, since a week pain is back :( and a bit of anxiety. it works for some but you have to double check how it affects the therapy